Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Help... what the...!

Personally, I wouldn't touch the car.

They would be coming to me and sorting out their mess.

I don't why you should have to try and sort things out.

Maybe I'm just a miserable bugger :)

Well, I'm back from my lunch break & the good news is there must have been an airlock as I've topped up the coolant (it took about 1 1/2 litres), & it's stayed where it should. I took the car for a spin to make sure it was up to normal operating temp & oil & coolant temps seemed ok, no warning light now. Checked the oil too (on the dipstick & the filler cap) & that looked clean & fresh.

Bad news is it's still missfiring/spluttering under load. Had it running for a while with the bonnet up & I can defintely hear something sparking/shorting when I rev it. It's had a new coil pack on, so a dodgy lead?!!

Cheers,

Robbo

Yeah sounds like one or more leads isn't seated properly.

If you're careful, get the long screwdriver out of the wheel brace and press down on the metal edging on each plug lead. Ensure you can hear a positive click.

K

Just a thought, but could the missfiring & spluttering be an ECU problem? I think I must have my expensive problem head on!

Cheers,

Robbo

Me again, I've now had a chance to have a good poke around & I've found the culprit - checked all the leads & no.3 has a humongous split down the rubber shoulder just above the metal end! It was arcing across to the head. I've wrapped it with some insulting tape as a temporary fix. Guess I'll be on the phone in the morning to C & R to order a set of Blue Igniters. Oh well, what's another £80 ?! :roll:

Cheers,

Robbo

There you go.....never as bad as you first suspect :lol: VR6 ownership has a certain amount of paranoia attached to it.

You can't go wrong with Blue fellas. Had them on mine for 6 months now and they've stood up well to the constant removal and refitting and general heavy handedness. They're not quite up to the OE fit beru standards but they do feature proper ends and decent quality wire.

K