aclwalker

Anywhere to get headlight adjusters now?

Are headlight adjusters (535941297) available anywhere now?

They are obsolete from the dealer and it looks like VW Heritage doesn't do them any more either. They don't even come up on the classic search there any more.

I had a bump and broke one of my headlights (glass and the attachment brackets at the top), so I bought a replacement headlight on Ebay, but the adjuster crumbled as soon as I tried to turn it. I tried to take the adjuster off my old headlight (as it was OK) but the lugs broke off it too. I could see it happening so I pushed down as I turned it so as to limit the force on the lugs but they still broke off.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is to araldite the less broken adjuster back on. I'm needing this fixed ASAP so don't have time to get another headlight. Besides the chances are that its adjuster will be shot too anyway.

Is there any other magic solution to this? I can imagine making some sort of DIY adjuster with a large washer, nut and maybe a bolt. Any ideas?

It's depressing how such small, seemingly trivial parts could be the death of an otherwise fine car.

You'll need something stronger than araldite mate.

Maybe chemical metal something on so that you can use something metal to adjust instead of something plastic.

Edited by Sean_Jaymo

That's a fantastic find Science! The price actually isn't so bad either when you consider that it's for a pair and the VW plastic ones were about £15 each anyway. I was looking for something like for a while today.

Well, I've temporarily joined it back on with some black silicone sealant stuff which is holding fairly well. I also lubricated the thread and it's working much easier now, but I made sure to hold the base while adjusting the knob. It'll hold for now until I can get a more permanent repair.

Thanks for the replies.