Sign in to follow this  
PhatVR6

Help me get my VR running right

I'll leave it to my mate, he's the electronic wiz. I think mines just stock, but I haven't been in to have a look at it. rev limit seems to be around 6600rpm so I 'm guessing that's stock. my other one used to rev to 7200.

so, I reckon if I put my engine speed sensor in (or buy a new one), buy a new knock sensor, and get that intake temp sensor back in (i.e. when I fit the vgi) and get a copy of the AMD chip it'll be A OK. :D it now pulls a bit harder, runs a lot smoother, does 30mpg, and actually feels like it has some top end power. still not 100%, but it's getting there.

I wouldnt worry too much about this air intake sensor, I tried unplugging mine after seeing this thread and cant say I noticed any difference to the running. :o

It also might be worth trying to run off a bit of a batch of them chips as im hoping to get a set of 268's later in the year. :-P

I know the ECU defaults to a set figure without that sensor in, but it did seem to make a slight difference on smoothness.

I'll see how much he wants for the chips. I don't think they cost that much to do. the original 2.9 that the chip is off put out 220BHP, with 268's, ram air and the VGI, so it's a bloody good map! the power above 4500rpm was fantastic, I can't wait to get it back.

It still takes a lot of cranking to start though, as if there's no fuel there, even though the fuel pump primes OK??!?

I think the ECU uses the ITS to fine tune the fuelling depending on temperature. Can't think of any other reason for it being there!

Yeah, a batch run of 268 chips could be good...... just so long as a certain establishment don't find out about it :wink: Ah poo, that has just reminded me actually, AMD copy protect their chips, arse.

K

It still takes a lot of cranking to start though, as if there's no fuel there, even though the fuel pump primes OK??!?

Is it like that all the time? I know mine starts first time every time when cold but when the engines hot then it does turn over for a bit, usually catches second go.

Could just be a vr thing...

Yeah, a batch run of 268 chips could be good...... just so long as a certain establishment don't find out about it :wink: Ah poo, that has just reminded me actually, AMD copy protect their chips, arse.

K

do they? feck. well, it's already been paid for anyway, by whoever got it mapped in the first place, so balls to them.

Hopefully there's a way round it, there must be. I'm pretty certain they're protected and we can't ring them and ask, LOL! Vince will know though, I'll ask him when I get a mo.

VR starting....yeah they're like that. They've never been the quickest of starters. Should fire after a couple of crank revs when hot and almost straight away when cold. If hot starting takes ages, like 8 or more cranks, then there's either a pump issue or a dying crank sensor.

Some people have reported that replacement injectors help with VRs that are slow to startup, but I couldn't comment myself...

Yeah injectors are about the only thing I haven't replaced yet, might look into that. I bet they're not cheap......

I pulled 207BHP with the old engine, and that was just with a superchip, not the AMD one.

Phat what was the spec of that 207BHP engine?

old 2.9 OBD1.

268 cams

Turn2USA crank pulley

Schrick VGI

superchip

sh1tty home made exhaust

207BHP, 174 at the wheels. ran a 13.75 1/4 mile in that, managed 99mph on the 1.4 too, and a 2.034 60' (although not all inthe same run). also managed a 3rd place at the scottish national day last year, and 4th fastest lap at curborough too.

I got some blueprinted (freshly cleaned and calibrated) injectors coming with the new leads too, so I'll fit them soon. crank sensor will be swapped tomoorw night, hopefully that alone wil solve starting and stalling issues. I can live with those though, I just want my power back!

I'm getting there....slowly (bloody VR's :p )

I think I've fixed it!!

I was leaning over the back of the motor last night, looking for air leaks in the downpipe. and noticed that the rear knock sensor connector wasn't quite plugged in properly..........hence the intermittent fault on the sensor and the retarded timing.

plugged it in properly, it runs fine now.

changed the crank sensor too, and it starts up much better, and hasn't stalled once yet either.

idles smoother, actually feel like it has some torque now, and top end power seems to be better too

just need a decent chip now to make the most of the headwork and cams.