Sign in to follow this  
Chaos

PG R5.0

i treated the car (and myself) to some new components yesterday

b_r5.jpg

shud sound good.

ive got one question tho.

also bought some oxygen free speaker cable, how easyt is it to feed new stuff thru to the tweeters?

Good man. I'm getting some Pioneer TS-E136C components this afternoon. Can't answer the wiring question as I'll be finding that out for myself later!

Out of interest, who vents the back of the door speakers into the door cavity? I was thinking of either doing that or putting a bass reflex port into the pod that fires into the door pocket. Otherwise the bass response won't be any better than the winky OE Nokias, or will it?

K

Kev:

I would leave the back of the door speakers alone as the speaker would then act as a sealed enclosure - if you vent it then you risk loosing some of the bass due to the door cavity being too big and the speaker will sound flat instead of punchy and tight. My door speakers are running sealed as mentioned and sound superb - just the dashboard ones having problems with..... :twisted:

Remember these are 13cm speakers - not subs.... 8)

Cheers

Scott

Yeah that's very true mate. They're no subs, LOL!.

However, what I am trying to achieve is the thumping bass you get from new cars from the front doors. How do they get such good bass? My Dad's Mondeo TDCi has a mental stereo in it. Tweeters above each front seat in the roof lining, 6" mids in all 4 doors, tweeters at the back and a Sony 6 shot - in the dash!!

The sound is blinding. Solid, deep and punchy bass...... to get that amount of bass, they must be venting into the doors and using the whole door card as an large baffle....

K

I think its likely that the speakers again are sealed units - not bandpass. And the sound quality is probably due to the way the speakers are mounted.

IMAHO the mounting of the front speakers in the VR6 leaves alot to be desired - ideally you want to mount them to some 3/4 inch MDF that will REALLY bring out the depth of the bass note and mount the MDF securely.... if you take the front speakers out you will see they are just mounted on four plastic posts against the speaker mount... pretty naff!!! - So at high volume you will get resonation unlike newer cars that are built better.

Perhaps try some sound deadening in the doors??

You might perhaps want to look at some auto-acoustics front speaker mounts - these are supposed to make a heck of a difference - I would have done but I would prefer my speakers to be hidden from the scum... :twisted:

As for the dash speakers.... yes - prise them out carefully with a flat bladed screwdriver and then unscrew the tweeters.... be warned though I doubt if your new tweeters will drop straight in... more likely they will drop through the holes :lol: and you will have to fabricate mounts for them from the old tweeter mount... :roll:

Cheers

Scott

actually mate thats wrong.... prise out the covers for dash and then you prise out the tweeters too... as they are push fit into the hole and are held in via plastic prongs.. :roll: duh!! - I screwed my news ones in thats where I went wrong :wink:

No worries... if get stuck give us a shout. Been there.. done that... etc etc :roll:

Are you doing the rear 6*4's too ?

Nah I've got some speakers on the back shelf. Pair of 8" mid bass drivers and 1" silk dome tweeters.

Just need the fronts to provide more fill at the front of the car as the OE ones are shite and take a lot of driving to get reasonable volume out of them. They must be something like 80db/1W sensitivity or something naff like that!

I have no idea - someone had already changed mine for panasonics :oops: - no wonder it sounded pants!!! :roll: