robrado974

Christmas is for sharing advert .

I saw this ad this evening .The one in which the English and German soldiers climb out of their trenches , swop gifts and play football. Very moving to say the least .

I saw this ad this evening .The one in which the English and German soldiers climb out of their trenches , swop gifts and play football. Very moving to say the least .

You saw corrie too. Advert for sainsbury....

I was on the Mac looking at new posts on here , the mrs watches Corrie . It came on , i didnt even register that it is for sainsburys. which shows to me how powerfull it is .Most of us on here will know that this really happened , just to go back to the trenches the day after boxing day and go back to war . Unbelievable really .

Thought it was quite touching. And the fact that it actually happened.. well.. it's nice to see it recognised even if in a supermarket advert for a chocolate bar!

I've watched this advert a few times and it is a brilliant advert. But it really jars me when Sainsbury's appears at the end. It is so prominent that it shakes me out of my thoughtfulness and brings home a for-profit organisation. I think that if it had been labelled as a Royal British Legion advert and sponsored by Sainsbury's then I would have received it much better.

Every time I read about this story I find it truly moving. But it gives me immense pride and hope that the average person can come together for a few hours and forget differences. It is extremely poignent that, ultimately, British and German soldiers were just the same. Young. Scared. Courageous.

I used to work for a very large British bank. In their headquarters is a wall with the name of every soldier who worked for the company who was killed in the war (unfortunately I can't recall whether it was for ww1, 2 or both). Apparently it has been moved at least once as the HQ moved. It was quite emotional seeing that. It gave a real sense of history.

To this day Silent Night in German sends wonderful chills down my spine because of this story. When I was in primary school in the early 70's I remember telling my friends that I was going to Germany for a holiday (my father, in the police, was part of a police exchange programme - in hindsight it may have been designed to build bridges between our countries) and there was genuine ill feeling from the childrens parents. Mind you it was only 30 years since the end of WW2. So much has changed in Europe and young people today probably have no idea just how much it has.