virtuoso23

Need front subframe for g60

Okay guy's just had my MOT and my precious G60 :) has failed on the front subframe!

"Nearside front sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened"

"Offside front sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened"

So basically I need to replace the subframe, the problem is where to go about sourcing one?

Any advice, are they avaliable new anymore, or where can i get a good second hand one.

Any help would be much appreciated???

Thanks Guys!!

You'll need to source a second hand one. Not sure if they're the same for all 4 stud setups, but I'm sure someone will know and its best to put an ad in the wanted section on here, or scour for breakers.

To ensure it doesn't happen again within a few years, get it blasted and powdercoated before fitting.

If you look at the design of the 16v/G60 subframe then there are lots of small holes to let moisture/mud in and not many ways for this to escape. I sourced a replacement from a breaker and it was also in poor shape so buy carefully as they rot from the inside.

I ended up buying a new replacement from VW Classic parts, they aren't insane money considering it is a big, complicated piece of metalwork and it was delivered 2 working days after ordering. It probably depends on how long you are planning on keeping the vehicle whether you can justify this cost.

I filled my new one with dinitrol cavity wax, then filled some of the smaller holes where moisture can get in with silicon sealant.

Neil

I have one from what I believe is a 16v one I bought it when I had my 1st Corrado a G60 as i was thinking of getting it blasted and re coated. I'll get a pic of it 2moro nite and post on here if it is suitable we can take it from there. It is no good to me now as I have a VR6 one supporting the R32 I believe. It is in very good condition.

I found one on eBay for a reasonable price, was in much better quality than my old one! Worth a check. They're about €430 from classis parts (plus postage) which as mentioned isn't too bad.

Excellent advise from you guys, much appreciated. I managed to source a second had subframe, £100 :dance: and after a good degrease it seems to be in excellent condition. Now to get it blasted and powder coated, and swap over. Also doing new wishbones, ball joints, rack/tie ends, link rods, anti roll bushes, cross member bushes, everything I can basically, manged to get a complete set of new subframe bolts from a local supplier too!

I'll get pictures up soon!