Jim Bowen

Cleaning engine bay products?

That weird coating that's on the suspension turrents. What's the best way to get it off?

Doesn't seem to melt off with heat. I thought it was a wax but maybe not.

Yeah its wax, I managed to get it off of the chassis legs with heat, although like you I couldn't get the odd small bit off of the turrets which seemed much harder and showing cracking, and was sort of bonded to the paint. I managed to get most off with a heat gun and some with a petrol soaked rag. Obviously wash it off properly afterward!

White spirit mate. I'm halfway through an engine bay detail myself and using white spirit in a spray bottle - it just runs off. The tougher parts I've agitated with a toothbrush and it comes off fine

I've tried white spirits but it didn't seem to shift it, tried the heatgun and a blow torch :lol:

The only thing that seemed to do it was acetone but that also takes the paint off :(

I think you might be trying to remove discoloured lacquer :( the turret wax came off fine with white-spirit for me and panel wipe to get it spotless and grease free

Am not sure what it is, i ended up using the acetone and being very careful. :lol:

Not finished but got most of it off last night, still little bits here and there. (needs a polish too)

20141118_201323.jpg

The side i haven't done yet....

20141117_203150.jpg

jim, where your battery sits in the above picture, whats that grid plate that the battery sits on, like a rubber foot doormat cut to size? if so that's a decent idea, just took mine out to treat rust

Yeah, its bits of old rubber floor mats :lol: My new battery didn't quite sit high enough, i plan to make something better, its all i had at the time, but works quite well really.

I think the pic is with the rubber removed, its just left an imprint, i sprayed wax under the battery last time i was there.

Autoglym engine and machine cleaner. That stuff is amazing, used it for the past 7 years. Water based and will clean anything rapidly. My engine bay is like new with minimum fuss.