Sign in to follow this  
BiscutWheels

newbie S/C question

Hey, I'm new. I own a 1991 celica and I am looking to make a custom S/C kit for my car. I was looking at the G60 S/C and I was wondering what I can expect from it. Here are the questions I have.

-What is the stock boost output?

-The S/C motor is 1.8 liters right? What are the capabilities of the S/C for a larger displacement engine (2.2L redline at 6250)? I would like to run about 6-8 psi daily maybe 12 at the track. Will it reach its surge limit to fast on that big of a motor?

-What kind of reliability can I expect? I did some searching and I know it is dependent on how much boost I want to run and that is directly related to the pulley size. What kind of milage could I get out of the S/C on a stock or just smaller than stock pulley?

-Are there any other issues I should be worried about? I'm no stranger to cars and custom fabrication. I have a greddy E-Manage so tuning will not be a problem.

Thanks for your help.

Nate

How much space is under the bonnet? The GLader is not the smallest of blowers.

I'd personally go for a higher revving centrifugal blower, like a Vortech for example but the G60 and the Vortech kit are VW specific. Wouldn't it be easier/faster to just take the turbo off a GT4?

The last thing I'd stick on a 'reliable' jap motor is a G60. You say 2.2L is that a US motor, we have only had 2litre motors here.

I agree with Kev, get the gear and possibly the whole motor from a GT4.

Gavin

You are talking about a 3S-GTE. Yes the GT4 engineis wonderful, but I want to stick with the 5S-FE and it is a US motor, I'm in the US but this seemed like the board with the most experience. OK, so what you are telling me is that the G60 S/C is a poor unit? I would prefer a powerdyne or a vortech but they are a little out of my price range right now.

Thanks,

Nate

have a look at the Jaguar superchargers... a little birdy told me that they are around £400 BRAND NEW from Jag, put out some nice boost and are pretty compact... Pretty sure they are Eton style chargers too... 8)

Hey, I'm new. I own a 1991 celica and I am looking to make a custom S/C kit for my car. I was looking at the G60 S/C and I was wondering what I can expect from it. Here are the questions I have.

Why not throw a supra turbo lump in it?

I don't want to have to worry about more exhaust plumbing. I just rebuilt the exhaust. I want to go supercharged, my numbers tell me that the engine will do better with low end boost. as it is, I run 143ft-lb at the wheels and 126 HP at the wheels. This engine is set up to be a torque monster, so I'm gonna see how far i can take it.

Nate