Rocket Ron

Driver Electric Window not working

Hi

Driver side window has now failed to open when you press switch. I can hear the relays in the door and behind me in panel by rear seat etc making/clicking but still not operating. Passenger side working fine so this tells me fuses must be ok. Have taken door card off and it looks a p... to get at motor is riveted in.

Ideas welcome and what next.

yes, the regulator is one of those jobs we hate doing, you need to drillout the rivets and really replace the rubber mountings, it may be that the motor is stalled, try taking off the card and membrane and tapping it with a hammer when attempting to operate.

Membrane and door card off and tried tapping it still no joy. Suppose next thing is to drill out rivets. Once drilled out can you replace with nuts/bolts.

I believe Tempest / Eric managed to replace his window regulator with a nut / bolt solution rather than riveting - might be worth dropping him an email :)

im sure ive read on here that sometimes this issue is caused by the connection into the window controller box behind the drivers side rear door card

mine works randomly, though more not than often, & i was going to check the connection as first port of call

I just replaced my regulator and regarding the rubber mountings for the motor, I drilled a hole in the side of them and pushed the old rivet head out with a screw driver so I could re-use them. Still maintained it's strength.

I just replaced my regulator and regarding the rubber mountings for the motor, I drilled a hole in the side of them and pushed the old rivet head out with a screw driver so I could re-use them. Still maintained it's strength.

I do the same, then superglue the rubber back up :)

Ron, check there is power to the motor when you operate the switch before ripping the regulator out!

Checked power and it was there when you press switch. So drilled rivets out and took it out after a little struggle. After it was out connected it up again and would you believe it the b........ thing works something must have been stopping it working after looking at it it seems the top part was not sitting correctly/jamming. Now I have to put it back in window now wedged shut with a piece of wood.

Sunday will try and put it back in nut and bolt solution.

My passenger door does the same, problem is it is likely to jam/stall again, not sure why if does it bug I think a new motor us needed

Thanks for all your advise motor back in with nuts and bolts and working. One piece of advise take the glass out completely before you put back in much easier.

Mine is doing just this. The motor clicks but does not move the window. Is there any other way round removing the rivets to then discover its actually ok?? Ron what would you suggest?

Take off the door card.

Disconnect the plug that leads to the motor.

Support the window and pop the rollers to remove ant load to the motor.

Apply 12 volts to the motor side connectors to see if the motor turns.

If it does the motor works.

If it does not reverse the connections and try again.

If still nothing the motor or the cable to the motor is goosed.

If it works move the window up and down by hand to see if it is jamming anywhere.

If it's OK reconnect the rollers and apply power to the motor again. If it fails to move the motor is probably worn out and can't produce enough power to move the window.

Try wiggling wires etc as an act of desperation.

Edit:- Also check the cable that raises and lowers the window hasn't frayed and jammed the motor, although if this is the case a new assembly will probably be required.

Edited by Wullie

An interesting point ..... my drivers side window does the same intermittently. - In the morning it always works but now its warm by lunchtime it doesn't work again I can hear all the relays and switches but nothing happens. Guessing it gets hotter inside the door panel could this be a wiring issue caused by heat expanding something?

By the late evening when its cooled down its works again????

Thanks wullie. My window is all the way up so access is really awkward. Might just have to drill out the rivets. Where is a replacement motor available from? Ebay perhaps?

In the meantime, I'll spray some wd40 around hoping it goes somewhere useful and tap the motor hopefully something might free off.

Do you push the rivet through the hole youve just made or through the 'front' of the rubber mount?