TomBarker1991

Legality of smoothing side and front indicators?

Making a start on my bodywork and plan on removing the front bumper lights and indicators on the wings, for the fronts I had planned on removing the side light bulb and re routing the indicator there similar to what's done with MK1 caddys but didn't know if anyone knew if there were any implications to removing the side repeaters?

Side repeaters are required for MOT unfortunately. You'd need to find something - like mirrors with indicators or something??

The fronts sound ok as long as the indicator bulb is bright enough and you also retain the sidelight.

Did think that was the case unfortunately so looks like they will be staying, was going to take a light apart tomorrow and see what could be done with regards to re routing the front indicator

You could try the solution as shown in the photo below which I used in my Mk3 Golf Cabby. The light in question is a US spec. daytime running light that I picked up in one of the many forums I visit. Originally it would have been mounted from behind so I basically cut the relevant sized hole in the bumper and glued it in from behind. I then fitted a chrome indicator bulb and extended the wires from the original side repeater ....... job done. I have seen similar Corrado specific US side repeaters, which are orange, advertised from time to time which seem to mount from the front into a recess in the bumper but I quite like the clear version that I have used.

If you do a search on Google Images for Corrado USA spec side markers you'll find quite a few pics.

P9070009.jpg

Edited by leon263

Yeah that was the other alternative I have been having a hunt around for a set VW heritage have the bulb holders I need but only have the RH side repeater in stock :(

Correct, the side repeaters are different left to right, as the rear is tapered. Fitting them into a UK bumper tends to look horrible unless you use the recess from a USA bumper, mind. I got mine done during an insurance bumper respray and fitted new front wings with the hole welded up at the same time - handed over the two cut-off ends of a USA bumper and let them get on with it :lol: They ended up cutting out a square around the recess and plastic-welding it in - looks mint, you can only tell it's not a USA bumper as it still has the UK number plate recess. You can buy brand new USA bumpers from VW at 410EUR a pop if you're feeling flush, though!

No problems with MOT but I'm using aftermarket tinted repeater lenses (cost a fortune...) and they're a little dark if so'm honest. Need some really bright LED bulbs if you go this route.

corrado-sidemarkers.jpg

Hope that helps :)

Stone

If your careful,you can cut them in,(with a recess) without even marking the paint !

It took me an afternoon to do both of mine,including wiring.

I was that lazy,I didn't even take the bumper off

[ATTACH]80376[/ATTACH]

I tinted mine with Lamin-x

Like I said, for "as OEM as possible" you need the ends off a USA bumper. If you're going to attempt a DIY then please at least put them on at the right distance from the back of the bumper ;)

I made a template out of a cereal box,(I wanted both sides in the same spot)the hole in the template was just big enough to take the side light.Lots of masking tape,and I drew the hole to be cut.Drill then jigsaw,finished of the edge by hand with a file.

I took the offcut,cut in half,I then araldited this in the hole(one at each end) this way I use the factory fittings with the light,as the bumper is fairly thick,the light sits fairly flush !

I didn't use the wires from the side indicator in the wing,(too lazy to take out the wheel arch lining)i "piggybacked" the wires from the front indicators.I ran it a while with the wing indicators for a while,but they came off when the car was re-sprayed.

I'm back to work tomorrow,but as soon as I get some daylight,I'll drop one of the bumper indicators out and show you what I mean,I've still got the templates as well.I looked at many pics of the USA bumper,before I finally got round to cutting mine

You can see in the pic,the front piece is just big enough to take the spring clip,while the rear has to be big enough to take the "speed clip" but not to long it hits the lamp holder

4c4c8304c1fc5d3f6364d5925d268ece.jpg

I like what you've done there, it doesn't look too tricky. The worst thing is you've only got one shot to get it right! I was thinking of going roughly down the same line but plastic weld something in but now I've seen what youve done I'm not sure it will sit right. Don't suppose youve got a spare offside marker light kicking about that you want to get rid of?? 😉

Worth a go! Lol I've found a company in America who sell them but apparently there on back order at the moment, hopefully they'll pull through with the goods. Do well for the tips on fitting them though.

Found some old pics of the donor bumper I used. Apparently the whole car was this colour! :bonk:

corrado-bumperchunk5.jpg

corrado-bumperchunk7.jpg

corrado-bumperchunk8.jpg

corrado-bumperchunk9.jpg

Might help you get it looking a little closer to stock.

Stone

I'm currently looking at making a set of wing mirrors with the side repeaters built in. my intention is to cut a slit on the mirror and mount an led strip behind them gel coat the slit closed and polish back.

as for the front, you could use the side light and replace the lamp with a white amber led with switchback so the one lamo does both. I will be doing this with my angel eyes when the house stops trying to bankrupt me?