Erallus

Erallus - Flash Red VR6

So as I've had this for nearly two years now, so I thought it was time I did a members thread!

Its a Flash red VR6 (my favourite colour). I Bought it 2 years ago from a forum member (GlosterOX). It's the first one I'd ever looked at and driven, and I just couldn't say no to it! The aim was to get something drivable, that would allow me to do the odd job on it, and teach myself how to look after a car.

Really enjoying owning it and its teaching me a lot about maintaining vehicles.

Its L reg VR6 with over 200k on it (replacement VEGE engine)

The bodywork was a little bit rough in places, particularly the boot and the paint is starting to peel in a few places, fine with me though, as I'm keen to learn some welding.

Its had the following done in past two years:

*Usual servicing

*Had some welding done near the drivers side rear of the car to get it through its MOT (MASSIVE HOLE)

*New battery

*Fan wiring loom replaced as it was corroded

*New blue temp sender

*Second hand Bosch ISV

*Changed the HT leads to cure a misfire (much improved now)

Its currently SORN, as I don't drive it in the winter.

here's a few of the Jobs to do:

* Replace the fan assembly and fans, looks rusty and gets a bit loud , I have a refurbished unit ready to fit, and the front end is currently off so I can fit this. (hopefully this week)

* The breaks need a service, particularly the rears, which make an awful squeak and look a bit brown.

* The blower doesn't work on number 2

* Cigar lighter is lose and flaps about (snapped plastic bit on the centre console)

* Drivers seat bolster is a little worn

* Drivers side door card fabric is a little tired

* Boot is rusty around the headlights and the back window seal. I think the seal has gone, and this has let moisture in, so this will probably need pulling out and replacing, welding or I'll source a new one.

* The front suspension (standard suspension) makes a god awful squeaking grinding noise, so this needs looking at

* It's developed a small oil leek, which I think is either the oil cooler or the sump. The oil cooler seals were replaced in 2012 by previous owner, so if its the oil cooler I reckon it may need a new one...not sure how long these seals are supposed to last? I'm going to clean all the oil off and see where it appears again.

* Going to replace all the fluids

WOW! a lot to do, but hey; I enjoy messing with it. The only problem is I've been made redundant, so currently out of work, it may need to stay in the garage for a while, until I get get something else lined up, had a bit of a payout though so its been treated to a few presents :D

Cheers

Included a few pics, ones of me on our wedding day, as I used the car to get me to the venue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80223[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80224[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]80225[/ATTACH]

Looks like a nice example apart from the mentioned body work issues and at least it has a new few extras in the inside.

Good luck with finding a new a job soon, so you can get back on track and continue with fixing the corrado.

Glad to see that you are still enjoying it Ian.

I always found the rear brakes squeaked but it didn't bother me, probably just need cleaning etc. The front wishbones had new bushes all around plus track rod ends so might be worth checking the top mounts and bearings?

With regards to the oil leak, I recently had one on mine and it turned out to be coming from one of the oil pressure switches so perhaps clean up and check around there as I can't imagine that genuine VW seals would have failed in the Oil Cooler already?

My replacement clicked over 225K last month and is still going strong but as always they can tax your patience at times!

Hope you find a new job soon.

Ian.

Looks like a nice example apart from the mentioned body work issues and at least it has a new few extras in the inside.

Good luck with finding a new a job soon, so you can get back on track and continue with fixing the corrado.

Cheers Sankysvr6, didn't realise how rare the vault gauges where when I first got hold of it, very useful as well.

It does suck job hunting all day, but hay ho, onwards and all that.

Glad to see that you are still enjoying it Ian.

I always found the rear brakes squeaked but it didn't bother me, probably just need cleaning etc. The front wishbones had new bushes all around plus track rod ends so might be worth checking the top mounts and bearings?

With regards to the oil leak, I recently had one on mine and it turned out to be coming from one of the oil pressure switches so perhaps clean up and check around there as I can't imagine that genuine VW seals would have failed in the Oil Cooler already?

My replacement clicked over 225K last month and is still going strong but as always they can tax your patience at times!

Hope you find a new job soon.

Ian.

Cheers for the help with the history, as always Ian :smug:. I'll look into those suggestions. First port of call is the oil.

These cars always seem to need something doing to them, just part of it I guess. :thumbleft:

Glad your enjoying the replacement, it looks a good example.

Edited by Erallus

Small update, looks like I've found the leak.

This pipe doesn't look good, and seems to have lost a clip somehow (see below). I think this is for the power steering system. Can't get access to trace the pipe, but I don't think its oil (rubber pipe), and the power steering fluid reservoir is very low.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80300[/ATTACH]

Also I've discovered my noisy suspension problem, it appears my top mounts may be knackered (although I'm not sure now, looking through the thread in the suspension section):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80301[/ATTACH]

Edited by Erallus

This weekend I thought I'd crack on with swapping the fans and cowling, which I've had for ages.

Got the chin spoiler off and all the lights etc, after finding a decent guide I'm going to crack on with taking the bumper off (after reading as many threads an books as possible).

I'm planning on changing the coolant, as the cars not in use at the moment, so I had a quick look inside the coolant pipe just at the top of the radiator and found the following:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80468[/ATTACH]

RUST!!! The coolant is desperately in need of changing, Looking around at a few threads, this seems this may have come from block. Really hope this isn't a sign of bigger rust problems with the block. I'll get this flushed out and changed and keep an eye on it.

I've also found that the one of the bolts that holds the front cross member in place is missing on my car! (the middle smaller bolt that goes in between the two bumper bolts)

I think your top mounts are ok, they always look like that :)

Those are worn, the gap should be a lot less.

Cheers for the help guys, looks like there not far off going then, I'll have to have more of a poke around, finding suspension problems can be tough! lol

Few updates.

Decided to do a home refurb on the cooling fans. Managed to get it all back in together. Bit of a faff lining the two bumper bolts up, but got there in the end. thanks to all on this thread for your help:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=89927

Flushed the cooling system out with water and a rad flush product. Got the car started after four months of not using it, with some new fuel it seemed to start up fine.

After I ran it for about 40 min to get the temperature up, the fan came on no probs. Once I'd parked it up though, all of a sudden steam shot out from under the bonnet, the cooling system de-pressurised and water went everywhere (right side of the engine, expansion tank side). I think I may have forgotten to do up one of the clips!! whoops. Didn't have time to investigate it further. Now that I think about it i deffo forgot to do up the lowest rad hose clip (let that be a lesson to me lol).

The abs light has come one and won't go out, so I'll be checking the abs sensors next weekend. Hopefully not the pump or unit.

I also suspect there may be a slight blow on the exhaust

I'll be working from tomorrow, so hopefully get VCDS bought soonish. :thumbleft:

...The coolant system works fine now, no leaking. But the rad fan doesn't seem to come on.

The temp gauge said 90C and the fan didn't come on (assuming that was accurate, no means of testing). I'll check its working by bypassing it, see what that does.