Hofmiester

Which rear beam bushes? Poly or OE?

I've got my fuel tank off while I sort the straps out and check for rust. Now it is up on stands, I'm thinking I may do the read axle bushes as well. Looks to be 2 round bushes (one on either side)

I've read that replacing with poly ones is easier, any negative effects? should I stick with OEM?

Any help is much appreciated.

Ron

OE. Definitely. I believe with poly you'll lose the passive rear steer effect... and in my experience (of driving a Corrado which was fully polybushed) the ride was back-breakingly hard and crashy.

I have powerflex bushes on my rear beam and my rear is too hard, tried quite a lot of different shocks/springs etc, am about to go back to standard bushes.

You don't lose the rear steer effect at all because the rear beam slides sideways on them, but they don't self centre like the bonded oem ones do. The rear actually moves about more with the poly ones, but because they are not pulled back to the middle after the corner it's not so well controlled. On a track car you would poly bush and use shims to prevent any sideways movement so your geometry is constant and therefore the car more consistent.

I really like the feel of them though, it feels more active, but it can feel less planted as a result. No harsher at all, it's in the wrong place to make any discernible difference to ride comfort, maybe more road noise but nothing notable.

Thanks for the info chaps, do I need a press to get OE ones on? Or can I improvise a tool (metal each side and a bolt to tighten and squeeze in)?

Drill the rubber section to release the centre metal section then use a hacksaw to cut the shell that will be left. After one cut the tension is released and you can hammer them out..

I don't have much of a clue when it comes to suspension , bushes n stuff . I got a second hand beam that's ready for powder coating . It was poly bushed , I removed these and intended to refit them . I don't think I will now . I don't push the car hard so I would not really know if it handles well or not on the way it's set up now . I was talking to some friends about this the other day , you get used to your own car and how it handles . Someone could get in my car drive it and say it handles like a bar of soap compared to their set up .

Thanks for the info chaps, do I need a press to get OE ones on? Or can I improvise a tool (metal each side and a bolt to tighten and squeeze in)?

The only issue is the collar on the outer side protrudes out a bit awkwardly so you may struggle to press in this way. When we did the bushes on my old valver, we actually got the genuine VW tool which was a big vice type arrangement but came with die's that fitted the shape of the bush / collar. I guess take a look when you get them in and see - you may indeed be able to do a bolt / metal / diy type arrangement :)

You don't lose the rear steer effect at all because the rear beam slides sideways on them, but they don't self centre like the bonded oem ones do. The rear actually moves about more with the poly ones, but because they are not pulled back to the middle after the corner it's not so well controlled. On a track car you would poly bush and use shims to prevent any sideways movement so your geometry is constant and therefore the car more consistent.

I really like the feel of them though, it feels more active, but it can feel less planted as a result. No harsher at all, it's in the wrong place to make any discernible difference to ride comfort, maybe more road noise but nothing notable.

That's interesting. I don't run any shims on the rear of my polybush'd race car and run OEM camber and toe settings. My rear end is very much planted, probably too much so for a FWD race car but I adjust pressures and dampers to suit. Another Corrado I race against runs shims and he has one of the most skittish rear ends I've ever seen, moves around in a straight line over bumps and undulations.

Not saying it's the shims, but interesting that I run without them and have a very solid and consistent rear end throughout the course of a 12 to 15 min race.

I'll get my coat then! :)

I'll get my coat then! :)

Sorry Jim, re read my post today, it sounded very matter of fact, wasn't meant to come across like that!

They dont need to be pressed in, a simple threaded bar and metal plates is all mine have been put in with. Make sure the hole in the beam is clean and the new bushes poke out by 8mm!!

I tried powerflex bushes when i refurbed my axle and found them too solid.

On hard cornering when pushing on b roads it felt like the rear of the car wanted to break traction with the road..

Replaced them with Superpro ones and love the transformation. They are made from different grade material throughout the bush so gives firmness and compliance..

Lifetime warranty too if im not mistaken..