Chuggs1

Noisy (brakes I think) when reversing

Hi All

Your gonna get fed up with my constant questions (but im on a steep learning curve)

When I parallel reverse park I get a noise from what I think are the brakes. I have done some googling and it seems to be a known problem on VWs of this age - but I cant seem to find the definitive answer to solve the problem.

Can anyone advise on this?

What's the best way to stop it and can you get rid of it permanently

Thanks (again)

what kind of noise chuggs?

is it like a high pitch whine?

if so - i found that when i used genuine VW rear discs & pads they were god damn awful & used to produce the most horrible howling when reversing

it was caused by the VW pads not being chamfered on the rear facing edge & that causes the pad to 'sing' on the discs

you could remove the pads & manually grind a chamfer onto the pad rear edge as a possible fix

however, i decided to grin & bear it until they needed replacing & then i moved away from VW disc/pad combination

i also found that the wear rate on the VW standard was awful too, the discs barely lasted as long as the pads on the rear so with all of that in mind i decided to match the rear setup to the front & put EBC USR discs with green stuff pads

i know lots of people on here are not so keen on EBC kit but ive found the above combination to be much more effective that standard VW discs/pads & further to that, due to my ABS being intermittent, i used to find the VW kit would lock up extremely easily under medium to heavy braking whereas i cant recall the last time i locked up on the EBC stuff. & yes i know i should fix the damn ABS lol

Its a drone I suppose and not even applying brakes - I had read somewhere that the green stuff pads were really good and less brake dust and less effectec by rust?

I want to keep the car as original as possible (but im not going to be anal about it) - and am thinking changes to the brakes in this way don't really count - will see how the noise goes and once I have saved my pennies - will look at the brake set up all round

May just do the pads with the original discs and see how that goes?

Cheers

Rear pads rusted to the carriers would be my guess, in reverse they rub on the disk and vibrate, strip, de-rust and coat all metal to metal surfaces with copper slip

Its a drone I suppose and not even applying brakes - I had read somewhere that the green stuff pads were really good and less brake dust and less effectec by rust?

I want to keep the car as original as possible (but im not going to be anal about it) - and am thinking changes to the brakes in this way don't really count - will see how the noise goes and once I have saved my pennies - will look at the brake set up all round

Cheers

if you thinking of changing the rear brakes a good mod is to change them for mk4 golf. the rear original callipers on corrado are quite rubbish. they are prown to seizing and the hand brake mechanism is rubbish too. its been known to roll down a hill with the handbrake on.... you do need to change rear flexis if you go for mk4 calipers they are banjo.

75 % of the time I leave my handbrake off and leave the car in gear. that's how much faith I have in original calipers, think they are the same item they put on mk1 gti's

keep asking question, we don't mind.

Cheers

yup that sounds about right - the noise is there when going backwards without any braking

personally i really ike the USR & green combo but i will be moving to USR with red stuff upfront once the current greens have worn

im not so sure as to how green pads with standard discs would be as the green pads are meant to operate hotter than a standard pad, so as to improve braking, & the standard disc may not deal with the extra heat well & wouldnt dissipate it as well as a grooved disc - worth a try tho

yup that sounds about right - the noise is there when going backwards without any braking

personally i really ike the USR & green combo but i will be moving to USR with red stuff upfront once the current greens have worn

im not so sure as to how green pads with standard discs would be as the green pads are meant to operate hotter than a standard pad, so as to improve braking, & the standard disc may not deal with the extra heat well & wouldnt dissipate it as well as a grooved disc - worth a try tho

I have VW 288mm discs on the front and was going to try Green stuff, why are you now going to change to Red?

Ian.

Im thinking of red for a couple of reasons....

firstly, EBC have revised their offerings & whereas red stuff used to be mainly for track use they now have a yellow range which is aimed at track use & have moved the red stuff to 'faster road use'. the EBC page itself recommends red stuff for cars around & above 200 horses

also from what i understand & have read the red stuff are also a much harder wearing compound, so should last longer than green, but are still effective when fairly cold

as the reds can cope with higher temps than the green i would still have some reservation about running them on standard non grooved discs as previously mentioned

the below link is the pad/disc combination guide from thew site i have used to order the items

http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/ebcbrakes_recomended_c.asp

hope that helps Ian

USR and Green or red sounds good - and not because im racing and need the extra stopping power - but less brake dust and longer lasting sounds good to me (along with better brakes)! And if it helps resolve the problem - then all the better

So from the rear - would this need a full re-build with new calipers as well to resolve the handbrake issue?

USR and Green or red sounds good - and not because im racing and need the extra stopping power - but less brake dust and longer lasting sounds good to me (along with better brakes)! And if it helps resolve the problem - then all the better

So from the rear - would this need a full re-build with new calipers as well to resolve the handbrake issue?

RE- rear.... have a look here http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=40893

from memory the discs pads and carriers are the same. you just change the calliper and flexi.

this Is a good source of spares...

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

ha ha cool - though im sure someone will pop up here to say you would be better investing in a 288mm or bigger brake upgrade but that means new wheels as dont think they fit behind speedline 15's