bigchagg

Head unit not powering up

My alpine has been working fine and was all wired correctly on the ignition using iso plugs. Its been in for months now.

Some reason this afternoon the unit will not switch on. Iv checked the fuses under tge dash and also swapped in another alpine and still nothing.

Does anyone know what this fault could be?

The only thing iv touched today in the car is the sunroof switch (unplugged and plugged back in) but i cant see this being related .

Any help?

Try wiggling the ing key about, the stereo supply comes from the switch and is live when the key is in, the action of the key sliding into the barrel operates the switch.

Rog.

You should have 2 lives at the head unit, one permanent (radio station memory etc) and an ignition live with the ignition on - check for 12V at the yellow and red wires (ingition on).

It could also be the earth to the head unit, temporarily connect a wire from the head unit chassis to the body of the car to test for this.

The head unit will also have its own fuse at the rear of the unit

Ok iv messed about with the barrel and key and still nothing. The unit is defiantly all wired up correctly with the memory and ignition wired correctly.

As mentioned all whas been working fine for months and it's not the unit because iv swapped over another one and still not working.

I will have to test with a volt meter tmrw properly. I will have to see if I can nick one from my friendly auto spare shop first.

2 days of messing about and I finally tracked it down to a loose connection in the iso plug.

Can't belive after 15 years of fitting sound systems that it took me this long to find that out.

Thanks guys for your help.