Sign in to follow this  
ClassicStorm

Coilovers - Which To Go For & Why

I am thinking of uprating the suspension on my Corrado and am defintely going to buy a Coilover kit.Any recommendations/advice,probably going to be keeping it on the standard rims for now.Can anyone give me some help as to where to source the kit from etc????

Cheers

John

Well depends to some extent on your budget.

H&R are renound for quality, and are meant to be one of the, if not the 'best'

Other than that, quality brands are:

Koni, FK, Weitch.

Ive not had any of these, but know peolpe who have...

Regards suppliers, all the usual routes really:

Venommotorsport.com

Awesome-Gti.co.uk

Or try http://www.Rimstyle.com - a fairly new business, but the best i have dealt with so far.

If you give em a ring, or drop em an email, speak to toby.

Tell him Steve B from Porka.net sent you - his prices really are competitive...

HTH

I've got FK Konigsport coilovers on mine - fully adjustable (height and damping) with Koni inserts (lifetime warranty). Superb quality, very comfy (once bedded in), awesome handling and very cheap! Thoroughly recommended. You can buy them at Yaash Motorsport - http://www.yaash.co.uk

I can't tell you how much I paid for them as I got them through the Yahoo group 'Group Buy' for a seroiusly low price.

H & R are supposed to be good - but they are not damping adjustable, just ride height.

Koni Coilovers are basically the same as the FKs, but you pay extra for the name.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

the koni kits are not the same as the fk's they use a higer quailty spring on there coilovers.. the fk's are a VERY GOOD kit for the money nonetheless.. i would buy them if i didn't allready have koni coilies on mine :lol:

I agree with mark16v. I've got Fk's - no regrets at all. Completely transform the car and still retains a decent ride quality :D (worse if you've got 17s though).

Got mine from Dubsport, 646 quid inc vat & delivery. They took 3 weeks to arrive but they say they've got a new system to make delivery much quicker now.

also heard the koni aftersale service is 2nd to none...normally next-day delivery of replacement parts.....whereas FK's can take up to 3 weeks to replace bits

whatever you do DONT BUY AVO'S THEY ARE AN ABSOLUTE BAG OF SH*TE!!!

there, i feel much better for that.

if you need any reasons why not to buy avos then feel free to email me.

jim

FK Konigsports, very nice indeed. Had them on for a few weeks now, and they are starting to bed in and give a softer ride which is nice. Might stiffen up the koni's a little to keep it completely level. Utterly transformed the ride of the car and has made it sooooo much fun to drive now!! :D :D :D

Thanks to all that have posted info,sounds like I'll go for the FK Konigsports.What is the timescale involved for fitment of these and does anyone think that it will decrease the values of my Storm because it is not original equipment?How long do they take to bed in.....sorry to be a pain!

id get bushes(which i aint yet), top mounts n coilies together. the supersports are good on general feel n that but new topmounts are a must n my bushes are v loose now.

The coilovers should take about 2 hours to fit. It would be quicker than that if you bought new topmounts and bearings for the front - you then don't need to dismantle the old assembly. I would advise buying new topmounts anyway (unless your current ones are nearly new). You also need to get the tracking and camber adjusted once you have settled on the ride height you are happy with.

The FKs took about 300-400 miles to soften-up. Once they have you can play around with the damping adjustment - though that's easier said than done on the rears because of the parcel shelf supports being in the way!

I can't see that adding coilovers will de-value your storm - it's pretty close to OE shocks/springs for comfort if you don't slam the ride height, and you set the damping to the softest setting. It's sooooo much better than OE for handling though- which should suit the nose heavy VR quite well.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

2.0 16V

I find the stock VR setup too hard around town and not hard enough when pushed. Is the softest FK setting softer than stock VW? My plan is to lower the car 30mm ish and soften it but with much bigger anti-roll bars whilst retaining standard rolling stock. The end result SHOULD still allow the tyres to lean over slightly and 'bite' into the tarmac, whilst offering a good ride and reduced body roll!

I can do this with H&R springs and Koni yellows to be honest, saving some loot but I do like the idea of a coilover kit's height flexibility.

Kev

Is the softest FK setting softer than stock VW?

I wouldn't say it is softer than OE - perhaps a tad firmer. The lower you go the firmer the ride gets as well. I'm not sure you could have a 30 mm drop with FKs - I think the minimum drop for the VR setup is 45 mm.

I think you could indeed get a similar feel using H&R / Koni TA, but you'll probably be thinking afterwards that you should have spent the extra £150 for the coilovers :? The great advantage with the coilovers is that you can get the stance exactly how you want it - no fiddling around with lowering caps etc.

HTH

Cheers

Mark

"though that's easier said than done on the rears because of the parcel shelf supports being in the way! "

If you've got aftermarket speakers (might still work if you use the original holes, but I'm not sure about rattles) then unscrew the 2 screws that hold the speaker assembly into the parcel shelf supports. This'll mean that with a little upward pressure to the base of the 6x4 speakers they'll pop upwards.

I then cut away a tiny amount of plastic from the parcel shelf supports which allows me to just fit the key in to adjust the damping.

Once adjusted, just drop the speakers back into their holes and people who look in the back are non the wiser.

I'll post photo's tomorrow for you, but at the mo it's raining and there's a bit of a walk to the car... :lol:

Thanks for that 33Hz - I'll give it a try.

I take it you have tried adjusting the rears then - have you set them a bit harder or just left them at the softest setting? I heard somewhere that leaving the rears to their softest and adjusting the fronts to 'one turn towards firm' is the best comprimise for everyday use.

Cheers

Mark

Here are the pics I promised....

When I first got them I wound them right up to the hardest setting...

When I got back from the dentist after he'd put all my fillings back in again I wound them down a full turn. As it is at the moment I'm just tweaking them and seeing how they feel. Not quite sure where they are at the moment, probably about 1/2 to 3/4 turn towards firm from the softest setting, but they probably won't stay that way!!