BarberG60

bumper bolt head sheared

I've just gone to remove the front bumper on my VR6. Easy job I thought. One of the bolts holding the bumper on has sheared. The other three came out on. Is my only option to now drill the bolt out? The head came clean off. The other three were ******* tight.

drill down the centre and use a screw in stud extractor, ideally you want to get some heat on it with a gas welding gun, heat/cool to help break the corrosion, vw heritage do the bolts, same as mk2 golf, replace all 4.

You don't need to, and shouldn't remove the centre 13mm bolt. That's what is holding the cross member on which in turn secures the front engine mount. Subframe drops = front of engine drops. :eek:

I haven't taken the centre bolt out, the other three bolts I referred to are the other three bumper bolts. I don't fancy a be dropping in my head :bonk:

It's a brave man who leaves the front of the engine on those bolts! Unless off course they are new or in a known condition. I always use a jack on the gearbox/engine join to take the weight. That's just me being a bit too cautious though.

Ahh I saw 3 bolts out and assumed! Doh!

Agree with Sean though, I always have the jack with a block of wood under the front mount on the Subframe.