Wompa

OBD1/2 Reader Good one

I want to buy a fault code reader.

A good one, I have seen cheap ones that only shows the fault but I would like on that is a bit more advanced.

But as long I can check ABS, TPS, EGR etc Im happy.

A VAG-Com handheld ;)

Any tips for a nice unit? I dont want a bt unit and use my phone.. I want a stand alone handheld unit that is only used for OBD1/2 codes.

The price? Around 50quid? Maybe more.. I have seen cheapo for 10quids and Im guessing that around 50 I can get one that works alot better... but which one?

Cheers!

You can (from memory) buy a licence for the freeware vag com for £60. Gets you support. Or a not so legit copy from ebay for around £50

I was also thinking about buying a code reader but understand there isn't much data my 2.0 16v will provide and I'll need a 2x2 (whatever that is) adaptor.

You can get adaptors for the 2x2 from ebay for about £2! They will work as they should with vcds or Rosstech software. The Rosstech software is free to download, its the hardware you have to pay for. Ebay sellers advertise vagcom cables for varying prices that work with the Rosstech software, but are illegal as its copywrite infringement................

The Rosstech cables have a chip in them to allow full use of the software. If you use a cheap one of ebay and the VCDS software you won't be able to do much, and it won't give you full codes and descriptions.

Anyone near you have full vag-com that can do you reading?