Sign in to follow this  
ross.taylor

De-locking doors.

For those that are interested, the Part nos. for the passat rear handles & catch mechs are:

Drivers Handle 357 839 206

Drivers Catch 357 839 016B

Passengers handle 357 839 205

Passengers Catch 357 839 015B

Quick question guys......

Corrado handle knackered > replace with cheaper passat part > looks better as well

Why aren't you putting armour door plates on whilst you are at it though?

I mean, I don't see that the passat handle mod on its own is improving security very much. Some scum will still stick a screw-driver through the door skin. Can't say I've heard of anyone having the actual lock itself pushed through.

Quick question guys......

Corrado handle knackered > replace with cheaper passat part > looks better as well

Why aren't you putting armour door plates on whilst you are at it though?

I mean, I don't see that the passat handle mod on its own is improving security very much. Some scum will still stick a screw-driver through the door skin. Can't say I've heard of anyone having the actual lock itself pushed through.

I thought the Corrado door was "re-inforced" internally? (Haven't got round to putting the Passat handles on yet, so haven't looked).

Do these armour plates fit inside or out? Surely if inside then they're no more deterrent as the scumbag can't see them and has a go anyway.

The benefit of removing the lock is that is stops somone having a go at forcing it with a big screwdriver.

Remove the door pins from the inside too and there's no way to unlock the door without the alarm activating the central (un)locking. Mr Scumbag might think twice if he can't see 1. external lock and 2. internal door pin.....

I thought the Corrado door was "re-inforced" internally? (Haven't got round to putting the Passat handles on yet, so haven't looked).

Do these armour plates fit inside or out? Surely if inside then they're no more deterrent as the scumbag can't see them and has a go anyway.

The benefit of removing the lock is that is stops somone having a go at forcing it with a big screwdriver.

Remove the door pins from the inside too and there's no way to unlock the door without the alarm activating the central (un)locking. Mr Scumbag might think twice if he can't see 1. external lock and 2. internal door pin.....

Don't think it's particularly reinforced in the outside door-skin. The normal method of entry is a screwdriver under the handle so it seems neither here nor there whether there is a de-locked handle.

The plates normally fit outside the handle and are meant to stop someone sticking a screwdriver through the door-skin. Although you can reinforce the inside of the door, this is a lot harder and may result in damaging the paintwork on the outside if you are welding.

I don't think removing the door pin is such a good idea. What if the door is locked and the engine catches fire? I doubt the absence of a door-pin would put a thief off either.

All IMHO.

I've seen plenty of locks knackered by dim-wits hammering a screwdriver in where the key should go and then turning the whole lock assembly to try and force it.

Well, someone tried the screwdriver route with mine before i got it, and i dont think it works. i had a look and the pin that you would normally move dont do nothin if its locked. Incedently, i keep finding broken glas,, so i think they tried an alternative!!! think it only really works on golfs.

Could be very wrong though

And i think armour plates look rubbish, if its the one i think it is!

Well, someone tried the screwdriver route with mine before i got it, and i dont think it works. i had a look and the pin that you would normally move dont do nothin if its locked. Incedently, i keep finding broken glas,, so i think they tried an alternative!!! think it only really works on golfs.

Only way Mr Theif will know if works or not is to try it - and that leaves you with 1 knackered lock!

I'd rather remove the lock as it might just be that little bit unexpected to make the Scumbag think twice.

I'm of the opinion that if a car looks a bit too difficult/non-standard then Mr Average-Opportunist thief will look somewhere else. Granted if somebody wants to take your car then they will - no amount of immobilisers/locks/plates etc. will stop the professional. I've heard of cars parked on drives, with alarms/immobilisers/wheelclamps AND other cars parked behind them (as if that was some extra security!) being taken.

Only way Mr Theif will know if works or not is to try it - and that leaves you with 1 knackered lock!

I'd rather remove the lock as it might just be that little bit unexpected to make the Scumbag think twice.

I'm of the opinion that if a car looks a bit too difficult/non-standard then Mr Average-Opportunist thief will look somewhere else. Granted if somebody wants to take your car then they will - no amount of immobilisers/locks/plates etc. will stop the professional. I've heard of cars parked on drives, with alarms/immobilisers/wheelclamps AND other cars parked behind them (as if that was some extra security!) being taken.

I completely agree with everything you said, dont get me wrong, i was merely trying to bestow soome faith, that's all, i too will be looking at Passat handles now i have a new alarm sorted and then A6 handles when the car gets sprayed.

You're right tho, if they really want it, they'll get it!!! :shock:

I would like to disagree on that one, but I won't go into it as I think we're sailing a bit close to the wind as it is with regards to detailing how to break and enter a car.

Trust me it works! have a look at my damage in the gallery section, a warning for fellow corrado owners to keep it secure :oops:

I would like to disagree on that one, but I won't go into it as I think we're sailing a bit close to the wind as it is with regards to detailing how to break and enter a car.

Yup, could get dangerous!!! :wink:

Trust me it works! have a look at my damage in the gallery section, a warning for fellow corrado owners to keep it secure

Sorry to hear it mate, looks like the thing that tried mine was a crap car thief, still, he seemed to manage the window :(

Possible security film for the windows, may be on the cards!!!

the audi a6 handles are not the flush one they are the new audi ones look so much more modern...he's a pic of sukhs "hope you dont mind me borrowing another pic of it mate!?" you can see the handles here..

What do you do with the cable wired in to the handle then? Cant see how its connected and how they would reconnect to the passatt handle. Do you need these cables hooked back up with delocked doors?

I reckon this is just me being dim :roll:

Cheers