BrettS

Been a bit keen with the jet wash. Now miss firing.

Playing with the new jet wash at my d girls house and thought I would blast off some much from around the bay. Been a bit keen and I have got water into the electrics. Got a miss fire now. Haven't had time to investigate. Just quickly popped of leads and dried them. Also sprayed a wd40 around the coil pack. Sometimes it's great and runs sweet others is missing like a good un. My money is coil pack is cracked somewhere. What do you guys reckon

You can check the coil pack for arcing, best way to do this is to spray with a fine water mist on the coil pack and look for any blue arcs.

or maybe if you run it for a while upto temp possibly will dry the bay out.

Had a quick look At work. Couldn't see any arcing on the coilpack, so removed the leads gave them a wipe down. Unplugged the maf and idled fine for around 10-15 secs then revs dropped and cut out. Drove it back home and miss firing as bad as ever under load. Pulled over unplugged the maf and drove back home. No miss fire pulled fine only issue being coming to a stop the revs would drop and cut out. It was doing this occasionally a few weeks back, so I assumed it was the idle control valve would need cleaning. So I. Guessing my maf is goosed. Anyone successfully repaired or cleaned one.

If you can get to the element by removing the casing, then you should be able to clean it. I successfully cured one that was seriously bogging down at 3k rpm by cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner and cotton buds. Just be very gentle, and make sure there are no bits left on the element afterward.

8F601E4A-BA38-415E-89D4-C5EEBED87FDE_zps2vj7o6zz.jpg

That's the state of inside of my afm at the moment. Just took it off and then realised I have no contact cleaner so will have to pick some up tommrow.

Also noticed the seal is damaged and lifted on the sensor housing.

Wondering if I have forced water into the housing itself. 5D16DD43-4995-428A-AE16-CBF3B01DE245_zpseixxysuj.jpg

The car had had a k&n fitted when I bought the car and I'm still using it now. Air boxes are difficult and expensive to source, but open air filters have a tendency to kill afm. So wondering if this may be a contribution to it

Gave the element a gentle clean with a kitchen towel and a fair bit of muck came off. Swapped the filter over for a un oiled k&n I had knocking about for some 3.0 audi I think. Lesser of two evils. Put it back on the car, and it's driving as it should. No miss fire, pulls great, idle is sticking from time to time and it cut out like it did a few weeks ago, but I put that down to the idle control valve needs cleaning. We will see how it is in the morning, only time will tell if it's sorted it or not

Will have to clean mine when it goes back on. As was having a few issues and it was probably the only thing I didn't check.

Nice one for updating the thread.