Sign in to follow this  
Rick

Storm Rocker Cover

Hi guys,

Left a deposit on a storm the other day, but it worried me that on the rocker cover it said vr6-2.8, when i thought they said vr6-dohc. It's got loads of history and VW warranty.

Should I be buying this car?

All Corrado VR6s should say VR6-DOHC but the plastic panel may have been swapped with a different one.

Check the logbook and ensure the engine number is ABV (it's also stamped on the block just below the head line on the pulley side, and also a sticker just above it if it's still legible). If either source says AAA, get yout deposit back.

Hi guys,

Left a deposit on a storm the other day, but it worried me that on the rocker cover it said vr6-2.8, when i thought they said vr6-dohc. It's got loads of history and VW warranty.

Should I be buying this car?

i take it you've also checked that it is a genuine storm too?.......if not have a look at this wee guide http://the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3126

This rang a bell straight away. I saw a car advertised this morning as a 2.8 Storm and that made me think. I dont know if there is any stigma associated with this what are you paying?

I'd say if it's a legit car, and advertised legit, fine, but if it's a 2.8 it's not the "full collector's edition", so if you're looking to own a piece of history forget it, but if you just want a nice VR6 with a service history, warranty and it comes at a good price, then go for it.

Definately is a Storm, I'm paying a lot for it as it only has 45k, 1 years VW warranty, fvwsh, t&t etc. About £9k. The car is mint and can't wait to get it, but it did puzzle me a bit, might give VW a call tomorrow and see what they say

Definately is a Storm, I'm paying a lot for it as it only has 45k, 1 years VW warranty, fvwsh, t&t etc. About £9k. The car is mint and can't wait to get it, but it did puzzle me a bit, might give VW a call tomorrow and see what they say

£9k is a bit steep these days tbh.........although if it comes with 1 years VW warranty i take it.....its from a VW dealer or has it had an extended warranty?........the thing that strikes me strange tho is if its had lots of care and attention lavished on it to warrant being £9k why has it got the wrong Sound absorber(engine cover :wink: )????

sorry if this is sounding a bit patronising etc.....but there's a lot of dodgy dealer-types out there who'll pounce on the unwary :wink:

Sorry mate, but I'd hold your horses until absolutely sure when spending that kind of dosh. I was in the trade and its easy for mutton to be dressed up as Lamb. I dont know what your knowledge is like and I would like to be completely wrong of course, but please do your homework. As kev says the panel could have been swapped, if the owner kept his car meticulous, you'd think he would have got the right panel.

With respect to VW warranty the claim limit is £1,000.00, so this is an easy get out for engine issues. Most major things cost more than £1,000.00.

Be Safe and goodnight. :wink:

With respect to VW warranty the claim limit is £1,000.00, so this is an easy get out for engine issues. Most major things cost more than £1,000.00.

. :wink:

especially with a VR! :shock: :shock:

My car went in to a vw dealer for some work and they cracked the rocker cover. They replaced it a week later and it wasnt untill someone was viewing my car (I had it for sale, but never sold it) they noticed it was a 2.8 cover. I went to the garage, explained and they had the correct one (VR6 DOHC) within a couple of days. The only thing is the writing is coloured red and blue....strange.

As I say, just check the engine number on the side of the block. 5 seconds is all it takes to clear this up.

There's no way I'd pay £9K for a Storm with this shady history. If it's only done 45K, what where they doing under the rocker cover and why did the break or lose the original logo plate?

FVWSH means jack sh1t on a 10 yr old car. Their standards of workmanship and product knowledge is poor.

The warranty is very valuable when it comes to a Corrado though and I suspect they're only offering it because of the low mileage. They certainly wouldn't if the car had covered double the mileage, knowing full well the chains will need doing.

FVWSH means jack sh1t on a 10 yr old car. Their standards of workmanship and product knowledge is poor.

All that work could imply is that an 18 year old apprentice has done all the std services under the "supervision" of a mechanic. If it is FSH it should have been in every year.

Remember we used to call them mechanic's and now they are fitters - big difference.

BMW garages refer to their grease monkeys as 'Technicians' and I suppose they are given the high tech nature of the their current powerplants.

Thanks for all your help guys, it turns out when I picked it up we found the reciept for a 'replaced engine cover'

I am now in love with it :mrgreen:

Thanks for all your help guys, it turns out when I picked it up we found the reciept for a 'replaced engine cover'

I am now in love with it :mrgreen:

ah well a happy ending :wink: ...............and glad yer enjoying yer storm 8) ..............anyway i'll lock this thread up :wink: