gedstar

bit of advice please

Hi all. Im new here. Im quite an avid car fan but the corrado is not one I am that familiar with. I have been lookin for an old knacker to do up (any car make) with my son over the next 3 years. A kind of lads n dads bonding thing. Anyway I have come across a corrado g60 on my travels. It is a h reg . Other than that I know little else. Looks like its been layed up for at least 2 years judging by cond and the tax in the window. It as wrong front seats in and few other mods but generally isnt too bad. I need to speak to the owner to find out more ie engine and running gear milage etc. I heard he wants 400 but im thinkin along the lines of 200. What is the main things to look out for and what value would you guys put on it? Many thanks ged.

It would have to be a real stinker for £200 to be fair. £400 is a good price for a G60, even with a duff charger. Thats the main expense on the car anyway, so if its ok then thats a bargain! A lot of the exterior trim is obsolete or quite expensive, although most things you should be able to get for a reasonable price second hand. Plenty being broken on here and on ebay. Its an excellent car if you do decide to go for it. I'm sure your son will love the active rear spoiler, and that alone is worth the extra £200!!!

Thanks sean. The exterior isnt too bad. Wings and sill are fairly ok.Rear lights are after market and spoiler is in up position so I assume thats stuck. The dash and rear seats door cards etc are all ok. Front seats have been swapped for leather. The wheels are also after market but arnt too bad. I suppose in reality even if the engine is shot its not a lot of money if I can get it for right price. I had an old bomb proof 8v golf gti many moons ago and that was fun

If it's running, and running well then it's worth anywhere up to £800 quid just for the engine/box/supercharger/ECU etc. That's without considering the bodywork, panels, trim and whatnot as the lads above suggest :thumbleft:

Well worth a butchers, they're relatively easy to work on and you can find most bits secondhand, just the odd few that are becoming scarce now. Good luck! It would be nice to see it saved!

Neil.

Definitely. I hate seeing any car in such a state. Especially future classics! I'll pop along tomorrow and hopefully see the guy. I'll get some pics too. Thanks for all the comments so far.

I too have come across a vr6 in similar condition local too me! Been left by the owner for almost 3 years so thought I would do some digging into it and try purchase.

Knocked on a few doors and managed to get a contact number for the guy. Had a look round the car before the call turns out all the brakes are seized and rusted all the tyres are flat,bodywork would need a full respray and a new front wing, interiors all mouldy, cheeky of me but the car was open so popped the bonnet and had look. Looks like it has an oil leak or a few haha and coolant tank was bone dry!

So possible problem maybe big or small who knows! although the mileage reading was working with about 172k with and the service book in glovebox but only upto 110k.

So rang the guy and we had a chat and he said he just hasn't got the time or funds to fix the car and said he can't just leave it another winter. Offered the car to me for £500. Tried to knock him down to £300 but just wouldn't move. Told him to get back to me if he changes his mind haha.

Maybe meet half way @ 400. sounds like it needs a lot of work. The brakes are def seized on this one but the body is pretty good. The interior seems in good order. Dont know about the engine as of yet. I'll try for 200 and see where it goes from there but I think its too good to lose over a hundred quid lol

Maybe meet half way @ 400. sounds like it needs a lot of work. The brakes are def seized on this one but the body is pretty good. The interior seems in good order. Dont know about the engine as of yet. I'll try for 200 and see where it goes from there but I think its too good to lose over a hundred quid lol

Haha yeah can't go wrong for £200. That was my debate in how much I worked it out to cost to make the car road worthy again was just more than to buy one ready to go! But on your front of building it with your son suppose it would make perfect for a project!

From all the above it sounds like you'd be mad not to buy it! Good luck and keep us posted ;)

Hi guys.

Right, quick update. I spoke to the guy selling the corrado. Seems like a genuine nice guy. The car is registered as a 1.8 on the log book but the previous owner converted it to a g60. It has the g60 engine that has been reworked at one point and g60 running gear, suspension etc. I'm not naive so I know it isn't a 'real' g60 but it seems a decent car. I have secured it if I want it for £200.

My two questions to you guys are

Is it still worth buying or should I walk away

Am I being silly because I can't see past the fact it is a wannabe? I grew up in an era detesting novas with gti badges on them. Of course this one does actually have a g60 in it but still feels like a fake now he's told me.

Cheers all

I think for £200 you can't really go wrong!! I'd buy it.

Need to change the engine on the V5 though so you're fully legal/insured ;)

Cheers Andy

Apparently the engine is running but electrical fault so should be relatively simple to fix. It has a green stamp on supercharger to say it was reconditioned but no paperwork to say when. Also he has loads of bits for it inc the proper seats, new headlights, fog lights, original wheels as well as the black alloys on it so there is a lot of bits already for it. I was totally sold on it until he said about the log book. I guess I'm old school and things like that bother me but really for £200. It's prob easy worth it just as a 1.8! The g60 engine has gotta be worth that alone I suppose.

I guess a good question is...What sort of project were you and your son looking for?

It's worth £200 all day long if it's a runner either way. But maybe your project could revolve around restoring it back to a valver? And as you're of the old skool (Me too deep down) maybe even throw some 45 webers on it too:thumbleft:

You could sell the G60 running gear to fund it?

Neil.

Good point. We are looking for any old project tbh. I'm probably more interested in this than my son ha ha. I guess I'd like to keep it as a g60 so long as it is made up to look like a stock g60. Perhaps it's not that important for the price. I'm just wanting to know what other people would do. Like you say though. The g60 would be ideal to fund the rest of it and would be a lot cheaper to insure once he's driving lol.