Davidjhopkins

Please help! Can't get into my Corrado!

Ok so my situation is this. Drivers door doesn't open from outside anyway.(part ordered). My key doesn't seem to operate the passenger door or boot. Which was fine because my central locking fob worked. But now that has stopped working. Could it maybe because the temperature has dropped? I can no longer see the immobiliser flashing from within the car. Could this mean something? Please help, desperately need to get into my car for work tomorrow morning.

Later cars have full closure built into the door locks - so if you turn your key to the lock position, it winds up the windows. I'm trying to think if it works the other way - so if you turn it to the unlock position, whether the windows will drop? Worth giving it a go I suppose!

Tried turning the key all ways in the passenger side. No joy at all. Key won't even go into the boot lock. I'm guessing I should have been given a different key for that.

Bummer :( You might have to call out breakdown to 'break into' your car :(

Only just got breakdown cover haha. Can't use it for 24 hours so I guess I'll just have to wait until then. Will they be able to 'break' into my car? Or just tow it to a garage?

Yeah should be able to - I don't think Corrado's are especially difficult for professionals to get into unfortunately :)

You should be able to get something in the door if you remove the rubber window scraper trim from the top of door/bottom of window. You want to be trying to reach the latch and lift up the lever. Is one for the lock and another does the latch. Very fiddly though. I've broken into many a thing using the metal bit off those paper files that site in filing cabinets.

This sort of thing, is a thin metal bar you can rip out and has a handy hook on the ends.

Filing27.jpg

I've broken into many a thing using the metal bit off those paper files that site in filing cabinets.

is there a confession you need to make Jim ;) lol

Mine did the same with engine running. Decided to lock it's self and i had no spare key. 45 mins ticking over on drive. Gas man visiting next door took 2 mins to get in with the looped wire trick through the rubber.

I did the same once, but called a pro as I didn't want to scratch my paintwork getting the wire down to the pin. Guess what, he scratched the shiz out of the paint at the edge of the roof/top of the door shut. Grrrrr!

The keys are obviously mismatched and I'm guessing the battery has died in the cold, hence no remote (un)locking. I'm wondering whether it would be better to try to get into the engine bay to charge the battery? e.g. if is possible to release the bonnet catch from underneath somehow? Or a replacement grille from a breaking car may be cheaper to replace than a new window or possible scratches on the paintwork.

Agreed, I would take the grille out and try to release the bonnet that way. I've seen it done from below the car but you need a very skinny arm and preferably a 4-post lift! It's possible to get the grille out without breaking any of the clips but it's not easy. They're only £20 anyhow.

Could always try some WD40 in the boot lock, the design of the back of the car tends to suck dirt up into them. Of course if it's a different key that won't help... Full-closure doesn't open the windows during unlock, sadly.