Sign in to follow this  
scruffydubbers

Proof of the pudding

poeple say (and it does make sense) that running your car causes bearings cv joints etc to wear out faster.

last year i fitted a new inner cv joint to my red corrado its now on my black one. it most have had about 2-3k miles use, and on sunday night it shattered sending the ball bearings out of the rubber boot and i lost all drive to the road. there was no knocking or warning.

has anyone heard of them going like this before?

i ll clean the old one up and if it looks good i ll post some pics

Running the driveshafts lower than parallel permanently also puts extra stress on the gearbox aswell as seeing off CV joints and bearings etc.

I guess you learned the hard way!

ive ran mine with slightly lower than level drive shafts for years with no prbs....id imagine someone has moved the ball joints in the sloted holes( your suposed to mark em and put em back in the same spot)

or do you do lots of burn outs?

ah dont get me wrong, i know why its happened, its just one of the side affects of running it low.

the cars now lower than before, the front coil-overs are wound all the way to the bottom. :o

i know it put strain on the components and i expect them to break,

i know its not practicle, but its not a daily driver and i love the low look.

just never seen a cv joint go in this way, they was no knocking, it just appeared to exploed.

looking at the driveshfts they are are prbably set at the same angle as the standard set-up just in the wrong direction (pointing up rather than pointing down)

Bally - its all sorted now, changed it on the side of the road.

i ll clean it up and post a pic soon :D

sounds like my kind of car G, best get some pics up ASAP as Another forum memebr saw your rado at CC on the wkend & mailed me telling how stunningly low it is!!! :wink: :D

Maybe you had a duff CV mate. Was it a genuine one or a GSF job? I've not know one to 'explode' from excessive lowering.

Driveshafts pointing up permanently isn't generally a good idea but if you get away with it, fine. Just don't be too surprised if they catch on the chassis legs!

If you ever take the gearbox flanges out, you might find the brass cones behind them fall out in bits though!

K

yeah it was a gsf jobby, the other three are 4 yrs old and not gone, we ll see how this one lasts.

i ll post some pics i keep forgetting

Don't forget pics G :D

my old MKI 16V golf used to eat an inner CV joint every 9 months or so (around 9K miles) due to being low and way more powerful than it left the factory...

I eventually bought some decent suspension and genuine CV joints and then didn't have a problem with it until I took it off the road to renovate it... 8)

Running a car REALLY low doesn't do any of the suspension parts any favours, and will put extra strain on the bearing cage inside the CV joint which will fail and throw the balls in all directions leaving you well stuck... having to replace them regularly is one of the compromises you have to make when you drop your car that low :|

Hope you can get it fixed soon...

heres a couple of pics but not that clear sorry.

not that clear in the pic but you can see the edges that are worn and the frame the bearings sit in is cracked causing the bearings to pop out.

i ve got a another gsf jobby on at the mo, i ll see how long it last, if it goes again i ll get a better quality one.

Bally - i ll post some pics of the car and engine when i get some good ones :) , all the ones i ve got are with it dirty or not very good quality :?

i ve got a decent camera on my wish list, along with lots of other stuff :cry:

Just to carry on from what Steveo29 said, if the ball joints are not set at the correct distance, it will put too much pressure on the inner CV's, and gearbox output flanges, which could also cause a gearbox leak...

Might be worth getting that distance checked out..

Ah ha mine does this, raise it or live with it.

I got told that the problem could be cured by lenthening the shafts. Its nothing to do with the CV being worn, it just comes apart and cant get back together and distroys its self.

Ive had one go driving normal and one during a side ways drift haha

I also have huge dints in the chassis legs.

i ve got a another gsf jobby on at the mo, i ll see how long it last, if it goes again i ll get a better quality one.

We use several different manufacturers for these joints. If your new one fails, let me know straight away. I will personally go & get you a "good" replacement from our warehouse (FOC).

reminds me of the days when I had a mk4 with coilovers. blew 2 inner CV joints in one week. Pain in the arse and the car was pretty horrid too drive.

Sold the sodding thing not long after cause it was just trouble wainting too happen.

Hi Mark 8) :wink:

re the cv joint If it was in a grey/silver box then it might be a gkn one, and they are oe suppliers to vw so should be ok....