Wayne2015

White VR6 in Windy Yorkshire! :)

Have you got the black flap on the side of it, behind there is a hole. Could just be the tank itself leaking, which is probably the best and cheapest outcome.

Leaking from hole(s) i think..

076F4ADB-8FA3-4012-8F23-0BDEC7AEA4DA-1053-0000019098C6405D_zpsxsqgfz9w.jpg

AE0EBB9C-80C0-4B99-AEA0-11F47347071A-1053-000001909E824A47_zpshzloyxvh.jpg

So replace coolant bottle?

Glad got this today :)

Coolant £10

Engine oil £19

FD3FF2E2-558C-4EE4-B90B-0A8D69ABCCAC-1053-00000191F6E690E4_zpsuydsr4w9.jpg

Edited by Wayne2015

Given the spread of the coolant round the bottle, I'm more likely to blame the (known to be problematic) black expansion tank cap.

Worth looking at getting the Mk4 tank and lid, plus sensor, am sure it was actually cheaper than the corrado bits from VW.

You won't need to drain the whole system.

What sensor???

How do I check? :shrug:

Given the spread of the coolant round the bottle, I'm more likely to blame the (known to be problematic) black expansion tank cap.

So just get a new cap?

for the price of it wayne you may as well get a new expansion tank & blue cap

when i changed mine i did not get a new sensor

All i meant was the plug on the Mk4 tank is different, so you need to change the end of the wiring that is attached to car. (if you go down the mk4 tank route)

All i meant was the plug on the Mk4 tank is different, so you need to change the end of the wiring that is attached to car. (if you go down the mk4 tank route)

could he not just get a new corrado expansion tank (thus same sensor connector) & put a blue lid on it?

im sure thats what i did but now im trying to recall what i did when i changed it but i did the rad at the same time & seeing the car with no front end was scary lol

Yeah, you can do, i used to find the original cap a nightmare to remove. Think that's the only main advantage of the mk4 tank.

for the price of it wayne you may as well get a new expansion tank & blue cap

when i changed mine i did not get a new sensor

:thumbleft:

From VW?

:thumbleft:

In that case, i sticking with the Corrado one! :lol:

could he not just get a new corrado expansion tank (thus same sensor connector) & put a blue lid on it?

im sure thats what i did but now im trying to recall what i did when i changed it but i did the rad at the same time & seeing the car with no front end was scary lol

Oh

So new Corrado coolant tank does NOT come with blue cap???

Yeah, you can do, i used to find the original cap a nightmare to remove. Think that's the only main advantage of the mk4 tank.

Yeah

I used a pair of blunt nose pliers to remove my each time!!!

So

Buy a new corrado coolant bottle and find a used mk4 Golf blue cap?

Or shall i just try a blue cap 1st to see if thats leaking?

Just to be sure

Er

I have no head gasket problem? :shrug:

Right, guys? :eek: :shocked!:

I should have my Corrado blue cap somewhere. I went to the mk4 tank and cap so it's spare now. Probably got a fairly new header tank as well. Will have a look.

I should have my Corrado blue cap somewhere. I went to the mk4 tank and cap so it's spare now. Probably got a fairly new header tank as well. Will have a look.

Thanks Jim! :thumbleft:

Er

Is "header tank" a corrado speak?

Not heard it before?

Aye looks like its leaking through the over flow so either a new corrado vr6 coolant cap to fix the issue at hand, but getting a new coolant bottle should be on your things to do list as it improves the engine bay alot! being able to see fresh pink coolant as soon as the bonnet opens is a massive improvement, the reason why i changed to mk4 tank and cap is there both readily available and will be years to come and there cheap! and easy to fit! just suck out your coolant with a syringe into a container and use a pair of water pump pliers to remove the hose spring clips,

header tank is plumbing speak

Leaking from hole(s) i think..

076F4ADB-8FA3-4012-8F23-0BDEC7AEA4DA-1053-0000019098C6405D_zpsxsqgfz9w.jpg

AE0EBB9C-80C0-4B99-AEA0-11F47347071A-1053-000001909E824A47_zpshzloyxvh.jpg

So replace coolant bottle?

Well

Thanks to Stuart (MZPog) he had a spare 16valver blue cap...

But it didnt fit mine (thread was different) :(

Anyway

Removing my black cap and coolant leaped out of the bottom hole (pic above) -

Apparently i got too much coolant PLUS an air lock???

0111ECDB-DBEA-4C36-B289-3186A2ECC4E6-1288-000001C6E7F71827_zps7j3e3wrn.jpg

05AFE500-E66C-4BE0-A463-5FE62CF6B781-1288-000001C73A3AB805_zpsjehjoz4c.jpg

Aye looks like its leaking through the over flow so either a new corrado vr6 coolant cap to fix the issue at hand, but getting a new coolant bottle should be on your things to do list as it improves the engine bay alot! being able to see fresh pink coolant as soon as the bonnet opens is a massive improvement, the reason why i changed to mk4 tank and cap is there both readily available and will be years to come and there cheap! and easy to fit! just suck out your coolant with a syringe into a container and use a pair of water pump pliers to remove the hose spring clips,

header tank is plumbing speak

Thanks bud :thumbleft:

How much these mk4 bottles + sensor?

Water plumb pliers??? :bonk:

Apparently i got too much coolant PLUS an air lock???

too much coolant is a possible cause as you need a certain amount of air gap in the coolant bottle, its the air gap which takes out the water expansion when the coolant heats up ,so if theres not enough room for water expansion then the valve in the cap release's its pressure = out it comes!, FYI The coolant cap is a pressure relief valve which will open up at a certain pressure, i guess over time that pressure might slowly change or fail to work completely , you need a vr6 cap ;)

water PUMP pliers , ebay search it ;)

Mk4 tank has the level sensor built in the same as vr6 tank , all you need is the mk4 tank and mk4 cap and the wiring plug that plugs on to the bottle as its slightly different to the corrado , parts are alot cheaper then corrado , last time i looked iirc it was like £35 + for a rado vr6 bottle and the mk4 is less then £20 ,

too much coolant is a possible cause as you need a certain amount of air gap in the coolant bottle, its the air gap which takes out the water expansion when the coolant heats up ,so if theres not enough room for water expansion then the valve in the cap release's its pressure = out it comes!, FYI The coolant cap is a pressure relief valve which will open up at a certain pressure, i guess over time that pressure might slowly change or fail to work completely , you need a vr6 cap ;)

water PUMP pliers , ebay search it ;)

Mk4 tank has the level sensor built in the same as vr6 tank , all you need is the mk4 tank and mk4 cap and the wiring plug that plugs on to the bottle as its slightly different to the corrado , parts are alot cheaper then corrado , last time i looked iirc it was like £35 + for a rado vr6 bottle and the mk4 is less then £20 ,

Cheers bud! :thumbleft:

yea its the mk4 one, you have to ovalize the 2 mounting holes slighty with a small round file or drill bit? as the hole centers are abit bigger then the rados {5mm?} but its easy to do , its deffo a worth while mod or you could just buy a rado vr6 tank and cap and straight swap , either way idd get a new tank and cap as it does make a huge difference,

heres a syringe you can get to suck out coolant, you can also use it to suck power steering fluid or brake/clutch fluid just clean it out straight away http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Large-Big-Huge-50ml-100ml-160ml-SYRINGES-INK-CISS-IPA-GLUE-DIY-FAST-CHEAPEST-/151120286550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item232f789356

Edited by VW_OwneR_85