Sign in to follow this  
smiff

Worried I might not see my car again!

I have done the following on my 2.0 16v: Lightened flywheel - Made it more lively in lower gears, worth doing if you need to take the gearbox off (£80 from Race Power Motorsport). D.I.Y. gas flowed head/inlet/exhaust manifold - A small increase in power throughout the rev range (£100 including gasket set, carbide cutter and various flapwheels). Cold air feed from scoop behind grill sealed into std airbox (£ Free, had the pipe in garage at home) - Slight increase in mid range power. Schrick 268/276 cams & vernier pulley (£410 second hand) - Very lumpy idle no particular power increase :mad:

The car already has a full magnex exhaust fitted by previous owner.

My experience of tuning a 16v shows you can make a bit more lively with a moderate power increase, but so far its nothing special. I went out in a mates Mk2 Golf 16v running a std KR (1800) engine and its every bit as quick as mine with more mid range power :(

Just collecting as much info about KE-Motronic now, to fine tune it. By the way since putting the cams in I've tried loads of different cam & ignition timing settings, with very little improvement.

Sorry to here that phil

It seems you have tried most of the mods I have paid for. My car is really lumpy on idle, tried adjusting the idle screw/cleaned the isv checked all hoses...usual stuff people bang on about....still no good. If I slow down from a high speed, (approach a roundabout) she wants to stall, I have to blip the throttle to keep her from doing so....sounds good, but I end up looking and driving like a twat, (fair enough if the car pulled away like 169bhp should and I could compete with other cars on the road) -I can't pull away quickly like I did when she was standard, due to a lag in power delivery, I end up flooring it in first upto 7000rpm to pull out on a roundabout.

Probably gonna give up with this corrado now.....would like a VR6 (I always new I should have bought one) Its a real shame, after owning my car for four good years with no mods, I have spoilt it by trying to make it faster. never again.....I will from now on buy standard cars and keep them the way they were designed :(

you're mad.

go buy a stock corrado vr6

then come out for a run in mine.

I challenge you not to want to modify your vr6 aftermwards.....

Smiff, I went out in a VR6 Corrado last night, and to my suprise the difference in performance is very small when compared with modded 2.0 16v, plus mine has a load of Hi-fi stuff in it, the VR6 didn't.

Maybe we are being a little too harsh on the performance of our valvers. The performance difference is not enough to be worth me changing my car. It sounded lovely though. :D

Is it possible that VR6 was down on power? I would never have considered my 2.0 16v to be anywhere near as quick as a VR6!

Is it possible that VR6 was down on power? I would never have considered my 2.0 16v to be anywhere near as quick as a VR6!

I'd say it was (Cam position and / or MAF sensor most likely) as the VR has at least 45 - 50 pounds more torque than the 16V and that will be more than apparent. I've not driven a 2.0 16V Corrado but I have a MK3 16V (more power than the Corrado) and that was dog slow compared to a VR6.

It may have been down on power, got to say it dissapointed me, but quite often I've driven cars which are supposed to be very quick and they've not lived up to expectations. I drove a 205 bhp 2wd Sierra Saphire Cosworth when I had an 8v GTI and that was nothing amaizing.

Just really trying to make the point that maybe when modding your car your expecations could be a bit over optimistic, which makes you dissapointed with the end result, but when you have something to fast to campare it to, you might be suprised.

I also drove a dog slow Mk3 16v Golf, my 8v Mk2 would have weed all over it, certainly in normal fast road driving.

The Corrado VR6 was pretty similar in performance to a Mk3 Golf VR6 - I did expect a little more than that.

My 2.0 16v has flowed head/manifolds, magnex, schrick 268/276 cams although they made sod all improvement over KR cams in my engine :( and may be for sale soon.

I reckon you've got a power addiction and some things just seem slow to you :lol:

The Schrick cams made no difference? interesting...... is the fuelling and timing all up to scratch?

Me power addiction - never :D

I've tried loads of different ignition and valve timing set-ups, but all I can really do is move the power up and down the rev range. Fuelling - now theres a can of worms, my car runs KE-motronic with adaptive closed loop lambda control which in theory should sort the fuel mixture out.

After discussions with various people including stealth and race power motorsport, both of whom have been very helpful, it appears there is nothing more I can do without going to throttle bodies or maybe K-jet. They both also were not supprised at the results I have got. Gonna give it another go hopefully tomorrow, but if I get no joy I think the KR cams will be going back in, then I'll have a smooth idle and a little low down grunt again.

If anyone is in the Essex area around Chelmsford and would like to compare their Corrado VR6 or G60 performance to mine, I'd be very interested.