Jim Bowen

Removing Head lining and colouring?

Want to colour my headlining, i tried to remove it lastnight but i couldn't get the trim off that sits around the interior light and sunroof controls. I know i've had it off before but can't for the life of me remember how. I was pulling it pretty hard and got the back of it down, but the front edge was stuck solid. Any tips?

also, what have people used to colour a roof lining? Am wanting either black or maybe a dark grey.

Jim - try this

pop the interior light cluster out from the left hand side - take care to catch the small metal clip which holds this in place as it normally pops out - disconnect the cluster

now look inside & you will see there are two philips screws at the front side by the windscreen holding the plastic cover in place, unscrew these & then slide the cover slightly forwards & it will remove

;)

i would be interested to know how you find removing the headliner from the trim on the top edge of the front windscreen - could you let me know pls m8?

i need to do the liner in both of my rado's & the gf's storm

Thanks, will give that a go tonight.

I've managed to get that trim out the front edge, very tough but if you pull it hard enough it comes off.

Thanks, will give that a go tonight.

I've managed to get that trim out the front edge, very tough but if you pull it hard enough it comes off.

no probs Jim

i am very familiar with the process as sometimes my sunroof opens but wont close so i carry a screw driver with me (+ driver by the way) lol

ahh ok, be forceful but not brute then with that trim. i had read that sometimes they stick to the screen bond

I've never opened my sunroof in the 8-9yrs i've had the car. I should really check it out as could be rusty underneath :lol:

I've never opened my sunroof in the 8-9yrs i've had the car. I should really check it out as could be rusty underneath :lol:

ha ha now that will be an exciting 'will it, wont it' moment ;) lol

I think it's easy to come out. John and Karren (Fonzoroo) on here did there's and said it was a piece of cake. I think they re-covered there's in black or dark grey felt material. I wouldn't mind changing mine to black actually ;)

I'm in the middle of retrimming mine at the moment. As said about the sunroof/light switch, also visors, grab handle, a,b,c pillar trims, the remove the rear trim which should just pull down. The headlining will then slide out of the boot. The front trims are often a nightmare to remove as they're bonded on due to cowboy screen fitters using far too much sealant.

im currentley re trimming mine with faux black leather, finished doing the sunroof panel and surround also dyed the sunroof opening trim seal black aswell, looks awesome!!! absolute pig to prep all the bits though,

be careful with the front trim

The headlining I have foiund is better to leave the b pillars in and use them as supports as you pull it out from the boot. It should just slide out of the trim at the front. If you want to change the trim at the front I would suggest a flat blade screwdriver to push the clips off (again if not bonded to teh screen). If you pull hard at one end they will snap!

Done a couple of trims to headlining leather (very heavy so be careful when bonding as had to rebond it a couple of times) Suede material (must easier to bond but harder to stretch around the sunvisors). And a random one that is currently in Verity!

be careful with the front trim

The headlining I have foiund is better to leave the b pillars in and use them as supports as you pull it out from the boot. It should just slide out of the trim at the front. If you want to change the trim at the front I would suggest a flat blade screwdriver to push the clips off (again if not bonded to teh screen). If you pull hard at one end they will snap!

Done a couple of trims to headlining leather (very heavy so be careful when bonding as had to rebond it a couple of times) Suede material (must easier to bond but harder to stretch around the sunvisors). And a random one that is currently in Verity!

nice 1 thanks chris - that front trim issue has always been the hesitation for me tackling this job

Got my lining out today. The material is falling off the backing. For now i think I'll glue it back on and dye it black.

Can i use any sort of dye? Also, what's the best way to remove the sunroof trim?

Trouble is Jim, the spray adhesive will soak through the fabric and leave dark hard bits if you don't give it enough time to tack off. It's hard to carry out local repairs without getting it on the fabric straight out of the tin. Try to section the fabric off with some card or something whilst laying the adhesive and you should be ok mate.

im currentley re trimming mine with faux black leather, finished doing the sunroof panel and surround also dyed the sunroof opening trim seal black aswell, looks awesome!!! absolute pig to prep all the bits though,

Hi - any chance of seeing some photos? Thanks!

Have a look on my build thread as done mine as well

linky linky please lilfuzzer :)

i have to do 3 headliners this summer lol

Started to pull the old material off the back last night, a very messy and sticky. The old foam backing/glue is a git to get off.

The old foam backing/glue is a git to get off.

yeah that orange stuff is a real bugger! gets everywhere too

linky linky please lilfuzzer :)

i have to do 3 headliners this summer lol

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=47736

a few posts down is my leather one. It was quite heavy material so took a few goes. I have down an alecantera one and a custom one since using the same glue which was evostick impact glue. clothes pegs were used to keep in place until glue had dried

tidy thanks m8

No worries gis a shout if u want bud and can dig out pics of other ones ( pm only for custom though ;) )