Hairyarse

Random 'Coolant wee!'

Ok odd one this!

Fuel was weeping from one of the two small fuel pipes that come in to the fuel rail. I replaced the clip which sorted it. When I first turned the engine on to check all was ok, I heard a popping noise. I thought I was just hearing things and worried about it no more.

A couple of minutes later after stopping the engine I noticed this;

2015-02-11152812_zps573a05f3.jpg

After moving the car you can see there's not a lot, but it's definitely coolant;

2015-02-11153158_zps581e64e7.jpg

However, I started the car and no coolant is dripping. I've since driven home, I've lost no coolant and none is still dripping.

The engine wasn't stone cold but wasn't at full temp. Could it have been from a bleed valve or similar? But then wouldn't it just leak all the time?

I'm confused - anyone wiser out there got any ideas on this one??

I think it may be about to give birth to a baby corrado. Congratulations.

On a serious note it could be to do with the rad. Am not sure there is anything else cooling related there.

I have had small holes in rad seal themselves with the coolant making a crusty pink layer over the leak. An enthusiastic drive would normally make it steam.

Could also be the water pump,or crack pipe, but you really need to have a good look when the engine is running and up to temp. The dripping coolant will often collect somewhere at the front and then end up as a puddle on the floor. Nothing worse as it;s so hard to track down.

Yeah I need a good poke around. The popping sound could have been rad but the drip didn't start from under the rad. I did think water pump but am guessing Sam would have fitted a new one when he rebuilt the engine - plus if that had gone it would leak all the time surely?

It's gonna be a head scratcher I reckon! lol

The crack pipe is a plastic tube that runs from the water pump housing in the block on the left hand side to the thermostat housing. They can give out after 20 odd years or so.

I got the car up in the air this afternoon and had a good nose around. The rad does look new and there's no signs of leaks. The only trace of coolant anywhere to be found is in the pic below. Just behind the alternator (I take it this is the crack pipe?) and also on the bottom of the alternator bracket.

2015-02-12152239_zps6838b0cf.jpg

However, running the car, absolutely nothing is leaking out anywhere - and not here.

Could there have been an air lock in the system that 'farted' it's way out? Saying that I've never had any temp issues with the car.

Yeah thats the crack pipe with the drain plug on it. Just keep an eye out if I were you. Water pump is attached to the pulley to the left side of it btw.