Ray1965

Help. Starting problem Ignition switch or something else????

Today i have had the car not starting twice! once in Tesco's car park and then in the petrol station. Don't know if there is more than one fault here and both may or not be related tbh.

The car was turning over but NOT starting. Then the ignition started to play up. When turning the key nothing was happening, then wiggled the key and it started to engage the starter motor. I know from experience that it is not immobiliser connected fault as the car will start for a few seconds and then turn off if it is this fault.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

No idea offhand but the one that Chuggs has found looks right to me :) It's not a major chore to swap provided you have the right tools. You ideally need the strongest, but longest / thinnest screwdriver you can find to reach the little screw that holds it in. But please do a search for directions - it's been discussed a gajillion times :)

If that's the right one (can't check on my phone) then it's a bargain, I bought one almost 2 years ago from vw and it was £32 if I remember correctly

Cheers guys, so this will be ok the one on VW Heritage?

What got me was the car was turning over and over ok, but not firing up, as though it was not getting fuel, that was my question would this be a fault with the ingition switch a Jim has kindly pointed out?

I have tried my spare key which was cut from the one i use now and it seems to fit a lot tighter in the barrel / switch. Which to me works better.

having said that i will deffo be replacing the switch.

Edited by Ray1965

Ah must admit I didn't read your post thoroughly. But the part requiring you to wiggle the key in the ignition switch is definitely the switch! As for it turning over but not starting.. that will be something else! :)

Might be your fuel pump relay? That's a favourite for causing starting problems..

Might be your fuel pump relay? That's a favourite for causing starting problems..

Cheers Jim would this be the relay as explained in this thread, take it the relays on the drivers side right hand under shelf? never been in the fuse box tbh

http://www.corrado-club.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5157

The fault is intermittent so i hope it is the relay.

Edited by Ray1965

Thanks Jim, this the part number i have found for Ignition switch - Part number 6N0 905 865

Just want to check and confirm it's this part number for the switch?

Also has anyone got a number for the fuel pump relay?

Cheers.

Its not technically difficult... Just a fart as the screw holding it in is ridiculously inaccessible!

Not had a look yet Jim too busy with work and cant see in the dark. Will have a look for the said nightmare screw when i can.

Anyone got any pics btw?