kevinbowe2000

Respray Advice?

After picking up a replacement bonnet and drivers door the other weekend (thanks easypops and goldie), the car is just about ready to go in for its respray.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice/recommendations?

Things they wish they had done prior to a respray etc.?

Things I am hoping to do so far are:

Replace all the bonnet foam (got the stuff from the group buy)

Fill in the rear wiper hole in the boot lid (prefer it without the wiper and think the grommet it have in at the moment looks terrible)

Hopefully put on US side markers (use instead of side indicators) and fill in the side indicator holes

I was contemplating flaring the arches a small bit, just so they meet the bumper but still unsure about it.

I got my arches rolled , just incase i fitted wider wheels or a different profil tyre in the future

I also got rid of he rear towing eye and smoothed the hole where it went in the bumper , my idea was that the cars never ever going to tow someone else so why bother having it

Remove everything you can! Windows, scuttle, mirrors, scraper seals, aerial, roof trims, bump strips, door handles, lights and grille etc etc. If you can, or get them to, remove bumpers, rear hatch, bonnet, doors, slam panel, and wings. If it's all done in situ, you'll have mask lines all over the place, and you'll never be happy with it. You'll only likely have it done once, so getting it right first time is the only option. It all mounts up cost wise if you get the painters to do it, but if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, don't scrimp. It would be a terrible feeling knowing you'd paid out a small fortune and were not happy.

If u do get all the bits / trims / lights remove to re-spray...

...then make sure anything that can leak is waterproof when putting them back in!

My other car had everything off to respray.

But when the body shop put the original seals/gaskets back in for rear lights - they leaked! As the seals/gaskets were over 26years old, they no longer watertight once removed and put back on :( :( :(

Thanks for all the advice guys. Think ill be doing most the stripping myself to keep the cost down. And will be putting them back on too so hopefully will get it right with no leakages. Though I think my sunroof rainguard is nearly perished. Not looking forward to replacing that though as I just go the moonroof in after a lot of hassle.

Ah yeah I forgot the sunroof! The seals aren't cheap either. Cheapest I found was ARZ but postage is mega from Germany. They are the only place I found that supply the wing mirror seals though, and I got a few other bits and pieces from there to justify the postage cost. A 10x5x3" box cost me almost 30 euros! :eek:

Ah yeah I forgot the sunroof! The seals aren't cheap either. Cheapest I found was ARZ but postage is mega from Germany. They are the only place I found that supply the wing mirror seals though, and I got a few other bits and pieces from there to justify the postage cost. A 10x5x3" box cost me almost 30 euros! :eek:

Sean

My other car no longer can buy water tight seals/gaskets

So on advice from others, I bought a rubberised weatherproof foam and made templates of existing ones and use them!

My boot been watertight since Christmas :)

Obviously only some seals/gaskets u can make yourself ...not all :(

I got my arches rolled , just incase i fitted wider wheels or a different profil tyre in the future

I also got rid of he rear towing eye and smoothed the hole where it went in the bumper , my idea was that the cars never ever going to tow someone else so why bother having it

Because someone might have to tow you out of a ditch backwards :) I'm sure you must know it's not for you towing but for you to be towed. Mine gets used a lot to pull me out of the kitty litter.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Just got word that the US indicators weren't installed prior to painting. Had planned to do them myself but didnt get time.

Asked them to do it and they said no problem. Bit annoyed with them now as have no idea how to install them without wrecking the paint job on the bumper.

I was hoping that if I put masking tape all over the area that I will be cutting into, that it hopefully wont wreck the paint work to badly. Or am i just kidding myself? Going to use a dremel on full speed to try cut though it as quick and cleanly as possible.

Any have any suggestions?