ryanb1031

*Need Help Asap* Leak Near Engine

Hello all i am new to this forum and new to VW's in general. I recently purchased an 1993 Corrado Vr6. The engine is a 2.8 and has approximately 90,000 miles swapped from a 1997 jetta.I have owned the car for about 3 weeks now and didn't come across any problems before. After filling the car up with gas today i drove it home (about 10 blocks) and noticed some minor white smoke coming from my hood. I then drove the car to a local tire shop to adjust my coilovers and upon leaving the shop i didn't notice the smoke any more. Then Again as i started to drive home from the shop i notice the smoke coming from under the hood again, but this time it was coming out a lot more. I opened the hood and inspected the engine and this is what i saw:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81132[/ATTACH]

As you can see from the pic, there some type of liquid that has been leaking. Im not sure if it is coolant or oil But i believe i found where it is leaking from: It looks like its leaking from a hose which is here:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81133[/ATTACH]

I don't know what hose that exactly is but it is located right behind of where you would pour oil into the engine. Here a pic of it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81134[/ATTACH]

In that picture it is the hose on the right with the white zip tie around it.

The liquid has dripped down the engine onto other parts, I think it is coolant but i'm not sure. The engine gets hotter than usual even thou the car is not being driven. No CEL Warning lights come on and no Oil warning lights have came on yet.

What do you guys think the issue(s) might be and how should i go about fixing it. I'm worried the leak is coming from the head and not a hose but im not sure exactly how to diagnose the issue. Any info would be much appreciated since im new to corrados. Thanks for your time.

It's hard to see with the pics, but on pic two it looks like that hose is being dripped on from something above, and judging by the location I would say the aux water pump is somewhere above or near that hose. It's certainly a coolant leak. Have a read through here http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=38925 to get an idea about how the system works and what to look for :)

edit: on closer inspection the aux pump is not really near that area, but it is close.

If it's deffo leaking from the pic you've shown then the coolant pipe may have worn out and need replacing, but if it's running hot, you have other issues.

Running hot: The cooling system may need draining down and flushing through, your thermostat may have failed in the closed position or your fans may not be working. Have the sensors failed? Have a good nose through the above thread.

Are your fans coming on at the correct temperatures? Have any of the three temp sensors ever been changed? Just a few things to look at.

Good luck!

Edited by timmaaah

Mine leaked from that very hose, it goes to the heater matrix. Your engine is a lot cleaner than mine, when mine leaked it steam cleaned a lot of old oil/muck off and I had clouds of smoke coming out the bonnet. I popped the bonnet with fire extinguisher in hand only to find a clean patch :lol:. I was lucky, mine had a hole right at the clip, I cut it off and put it back together as a quick fix, which was fine.

It's hard to see with the pics, but on pic two it looks like that hose is being dripped on from something above, and judging by the location I would say the aux water pump is somewhere above or near that hose. It's certainly a coolant leak. Have a read through here http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=38925 to get an idea about how the system works and what to look for :)

edit: on closer inspection the aux pump is not really near that area, but it is close.

If it's deffo leaking from the pic you've shown then the coolant pipe may have worn out and need replacing, but if it's running hot, you have other issues.

Running hot: The cooling system may need draining down and flushing through, your thermostat may have failed in the closed position or your fans may not be working. Have the sensors failed? Have a good nose through the above thread.

Are your fans coming on at the correct temperatures? Have any of the three temp sensors ever been changed? Just a few things to look at.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the info, today i turned the car on and examined the hose from the pic, and i seen some air bubbles and fluid squirting out of the hose near to where it connects to the engine and where the clamp is, with that i believe the hose was just leaking and it just splattered all over. The coolant reservoir also seems to be empty.

I think the issue is just the hose and because of that i want to just replace the hose and refill the coolant. My question when it comes to that is should i buy hoses for a jetta vr6 since the engine is a jetta engine or should i buy corrado hoses... no sure if both are the same or different.

Also as for the car heating, the fans come on normally to my understanding, when i turn the car off a fan stays on for about 8-10 minutes then cuts off. Could it be that the engine was heating up just cause of lack of coolant?

Mine leaked from that very hose, it goes to the heater matrix. Your engine is a lot cleaner than mine, when mine leaked it steam cleaned a lot of old oil/muck off and I had clouds of smoke coming out the bonnet. I popped the bonnet with fire extinguisher in hand only to find a clean patch :lol:. I was lucky, mine had a hole right at the clip, I cut it off and put it back together as a quick fix, which was fine.

Yes i noticed today that it was actually that hose that was leaking. It was leaking near to where it connects to the engine and where the clamp is. Should i purchase a jetta vr6 hose since the engine is a jetta vr6 or should i purchase a corrado hose to replace the hose that was leaking?

Was the 1st hose to go on mine as well, Was about £60 for a replacement from VW and that was about 5yrs+ ago.

Weird that it has a cable tie around it, that's not normal

Was the 1st hose to go on mine as well, Was about £60 for a replacement from VW and that was about 5yrs+ ago.

It is the heater hose correct? it connects from the head to the heater core and the throttle body.. I just want to make sure im buying the right part.

yeah, if its the one with white cable tie round it. Should go from the top of head to the bulkhead(heater matrix) and has a thinner hose going to throttle body.

Part no: 1H0121157H

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1H0121157H&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=WNYGVfnDJqaE7gaLyYDYBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1347&bih=769

Thanks alot im going to order it now, When your hose was leaking was your engine getting hotter than normal? mines has been i just think its because there is no coolant.

It is the heater hose correct? it connects from the head to the heater core and the throttle body.. I just want to make sure im buying the right part.

I have that very hose in the garage, surplus to requirements, from a 2.8 Golf engine and compete with the standard clamps. I'm guessing from your terminology that you are not in the UK so this post is probably irrelevant.

If you have trouble sourcing it......... it is here.

PB020001.jpg

Edited by leon263

I have that very hose in the garage, surplus to requirements, from a 2.8 Golf engine and compete with the standard clamps. I'm guessing from your terminology that you are not in the UK so this post is probably irrelevant.

If you have trouble sourcing it......... it is here.

PB020001.jpg

Thank you for the offer, i just ordered the hose online :thumbleft: