sexybourbon

Bypassing the aux water pump

whats peoples thoughts on this , im going to do it just for a few months until i can afford a new one (cars not on the road ) i know its not advisable for ever but as a temporary fix so i can run the car and start getting things like the gear linkages set up and other bits and also it would make it alot easier to pull the car in and out my garage

I think you'll be fine, as long as you're not going to get the car to full temperature.

It's only there to help with the cooling once the engine has been switched of, to prevent any hotspots.

Don't do it, like sanky says it's there to stop localised overheating after the engine has been turned off but I did notice a very minor difference whilst driving. I've got a spare if you need one?

Yea i knew about the hot spots bit i just didnt know if it would cause a problem for a short period of time

I thought the pump ran all the time and then afterwards it kept running once the car was stopped

Yea it does, doesn't make a massive difference when engine is running but at the complete opposite side of the engine to where the water pump is I bet it's helping!

Ray. Open bonnet, turn on ignition, stick your ear to near the coil pack area. Hear it buzzing? Then grab the hose between matrix and aux pump, feel water flowing?

If not then German eBay do Bosch ones for £50.

It's probably not worth panicking over if broken but if it's not working I'd get it fixed. It keeps the temp of engine components balanced after a run.

It probably won't do any damage and you'll never ever hear someone say "it was my Aux water pump that killed my engine" but it just works in the background to increase the life of the engine. Especially for those spirited drivers!