Ray1965

Opinion's on mystery water under car

I was looking under the car to inspect the floor pan's etc. When i spotted some water around the hole on the chassis runner on the drivers side, there is one either side. don't know if this is normal? anyone shed any light on this?

IMG_20150317_124641151.jpg

Hi Chris , i presume it's a drain hole but where does the water come from is it from the sunroof? Not sure if there should be any water there anyway.

MOT tester said it's good underneath.

Edited by Ray1965

It's a factory drain hole I think from when they put the galvanised coating on. Sunroof drains come out inside the arch, just in front of the a pillars.

Noticed it on mine before, think it finds its way in from the front end somehow. Am going to spray some penetrating wax in all these sort of voids soon.

Noticed it on mine before, think it finds its way in from the front end somehow. Am going to spray some penetrating wax in all these sort of voids soon.

Yes Jim good idea the wax treatment. I was concerned i had a coolant leak but looking now how can coolant get into the chassis? I think not.

Worst bit on mine, i took a chisel to the under seal to scrape bits off and on the back end i broke the seal and all this old brown water came out and the underside of car was rusting away underneath.

Its worth poking any bulging bits of under seal as its so tough the rust won't break through until its quite bad.