Wayne2015

De-rusting and Detailing Paintwork

Hi

Like to tackle some of mine superficial issues:

1. Surface rust on white paintwork (including stone chips to metal)

2. Rust to bare metal on wheel arches and bottom of doors

3. Crusty rust on some areas like battery tray, under rear spoiler, windscreen edges etc

4. Might as well add removal of rear CORRADO badge and fill-in holes

I am thinking the following:

1. Surface rust on - just 800 sandpaper and topcoat/lacquer?

2. Rust to metal - Dremel + 400 sandpaper + epoxy primer (NOT etch primer?) + 600 sand + primer + 800 sand + top coat/lacquer

3. Battery tray - Wire brush + Bilt Hamber Deox (derust) + method spirit + etch primer?

4. Below wiper arms / scuttle panel - wire brush + BH Deox + Rustbuster epoxy mastic (rustproof/prime/topcoat all in one!)

Or rustbullet.UK.com

5. Corrado badge holes - dremel + 2 part filler + prime/top/lacquer

6. Front lights - these glass aren't they?

- just 800 sandpaper and then technique C2?

- or better to buy headlight refurb kit?

7. Might as well add:

- since not fitting my 288mm caliper

- and Vag-Hag shown me how the calipers work...

- soak in BH Detox C overnight

- buy a caliper return kit and return?

- then paint with hammerite?

I have done a lot of research on this.

Probably not enough!

Still confused what to use, order of steps, and which combo to use!!??

Some say NOT to use etch primer!

Some say BH Dynax S50 is excellent rust converter and can paint on top! But if u add a water based primer to Dynax then it will rust! :eek:

This is my 1st ever attempt at bodywork....wish me luck! :eek: :shocked!:

Edited by Wayne2015

Oh

I do not have an DA or electric polisher etc - and prefer not to.

I will buy a Dremel 4200 + accessories: £120

I am using a spray called eastwood rust encapsulator, they do a normal and a rubberised one.

Dremels are useful, but only for tiny little nooks and crannys you can't really get into, i've borrowed an air compressor and bought a silverline die grinder for it, air tools can be really cheap. I broke my first dremel trying to clean up my sills.

I seem to be chasing rust all over the place at the moment and getting quite down about it, found a new hole last night so need to get the welder guy back again.

I am using a spray called eastwood rust encapsulator, they do a normal and a rubberised one.

Dremels are useful, but only for tiny little nooks and crannys you can't really get into, i've borrowed an air compressor and bought a silverline die grinder for it, air tools can be really cheap. I broke my first dremel trying to clean up my sills.

I seem to be chasing rust all over the place at the moment and getting quite down about it, found a new hole last night so need to get the welder guy back again.

Cheers Jim :)

I will look into those as well!

But don't think I will be buying any more tools other than the dremel - I think dremel I can justify as will use it more (like fitting Daves16v s short shift ;))

But am worried now if I will break my dremel too :(

Which dremel did u break?

You can buy some dremel like tools for loads less and they are failry good - I bought one off ebay and its pretty good and the write ups / reviews were very good - think sometimes you pay for a brand name

I bought the fancy dremel digital, and it just went pop one day, i bought another one to replace it, but next time i will buy a non-dremel brand.

I knew someone who had a white car and covered the rust up with a tipex correction pen :)

I think that's my car! :lol:

U not seen my in the metal yet have u?

You can buy some dremel like tools for loads less and they are failry good - I bought one off ebay and its pretty good and the write ups / reviews were very good - think sometimes you pay for a brand name

I know what u saying

When I sold my Skoda with satnav ... I decided to save money and bought a Chinese fancy satnav ...big 7", play DVDs etc and good write up....in the end it was rubbish..had push screen tech (not tough screen) - thanks god I got refund (but minus returned fee :()

I bought the fancy dremel digital, and it just went pop one day, i bought another one to replace it, but next time i will buy a non-dremel brand.

:shocked!:

Both the items have excellent customer reviews - that's what I always go by

I do too!

But u know they not always spot on!

Went to a restaurant with excellent TripAdvisor reviews - it was rubbish!

So everything with a pinch of salt!

But, Chuggs - since we both on similar steep learning curve here - I trust u :o

Will deffo think about getting those 2 items u recommended :thumb right:

Saves me £££ ;)

I bought the Aldi version of the Dremel about four years ago. Think it cost £15 and came with a load of accessories and a flexi drive. Still going strong and it gets used extensively. Every now and then they do an accessories set for a fiver with about twenty or thirty different tools.

I sometimes fit a grind stone to the dremel, turn it on and hold it to the item to grind and the stone just disappears instead :lol:

I bought the Aldi version of the Dremel about four years ago. Think it cost £15 and came with a load of accessories and a flexi drive. Still going strong and it gets used extensively. Every now and then they do an accessories set for a fiver with about twenty or thirty different tools.

I love both Aldi / Lidl tools!

Will check em out too! :thumb right:

I sometimes fit a grind stone to the dremel, turn it on and hold it to the item to grind and the stone just disappears instead :lol:

:lol:

Guys

Is normal spray paint OK?

I bought a can of WHITE primer and WHITE gloss and WHITE lacquer from Wilkinson yesterday as generic spray cans (not cars)...

...shall I take em back and buy from motor factor or ECP instead?

And ordered from ECP:

2 parts filler (Davids P38 ) - this OK I think?

And Hycote etch primer - think I will return this and buy epoxy primer instead?

Get some high build primer,you will need the right shade of white or it will look a mess.try ebay you can get base coat in a spray can mixed to correct paint code

Get some high build primer,you will need the right shade of white or it will look a mess.try ebay you can get base coat in a spray can mixed to correct paint code

What's high build?

Seller sold me car as CANDY WHITE - not sure if OEM?

So much bad TouchUp everywhere :(

Plan was to take to a good body shop I know.

But now can't justify cost - so looking at doing the worse bits myself...