Jim Bowen

28 Litre Fiat driven for 1st time in 100years

That is f@cking INCREDIBLE. What a sound, and what a spectacle. My god!!

Can you imagine being sat at traffic lights in that thing, the engine thundering away, flames flying out the side of the exhaust..

Reminds me of Brutus -

Do you remember the guys fitting the merlin engine to a rover SD1? Was a few years ago now.

This is one of the reasons i love cars and all things automotive , what a machine and what a beast id love to see that at goodwood

Do you remember the guys fitting the merlin engine to a rover SD1? Was a few years ago now.

Aye, Charlie Broomer in PPC mag! Last I heard he was building his own dyno and turboing it, but that was aaaaaages ago! It's not been mentioned in the mag for months.

Would love to see more on that SD1. The little video on YouTube only leaves you wanting more. There's some good videos on Jay Leno's Garage YouTube channel though - he's got a Bentley with a Merlin engine :)

There used to be more videos on youtube, but you never really see him thrashing it, probably more fun to watch the tuned v8 ones, they probably go faster as well :lol:

Would love to see more on that SD1. The little video on YouTube only leaves you wanting more. There's some good videos on Jay Leno's Garage YouTube channel though - he's got a Bentley with a Merlin engine :)

Indeed. Trouble is I just don't like Jay Leno! :)

It's amazing the work Charlie put into that SD1 though! He had to use a gearbox from a bus that stepped up the revs cause the Merlin runs so slow. Then he had to get a custom ECU from Dave Walker at Emerald to run the 24 spark plugs! Then he converted it to EFI. Then there was something about the cams, cause they don't exist for Merlins! And ridiculously enough, it wasn't powerful enough to achieve 200mph! Hence the turbo and making his own dyno. He reckons he needs over 600hp, but as it stood it was making nowhere near that, for what ever reason.

Am wondering if he was the guy who sunk a forklift into his garage floor and then fixed his roof to the top of it, so when the forklift lifted the car, the roof went up with it to give the clearance.

Am wondering if he was the guy who sunk a forklift into his garage floor and then fixed his roof to the top of it, so when the forklift lifted the car, the roof went up with it to give the clearance.

Any more info on this ? Sounds fun