paceo

dropping a corrado 2.9 coilpack engine into my dizzy golf vr6 - cam sprocket question

hi guys my golf vr6 2.8 engine is smokey and it runs on a dizzy, the corrado 2.9 engine i am putting in runs on a coilpack so does not have the dizzy sprocket on the end of the camshaft. so i need to remove the sprocket bolt from my current golf 2.8 dizzy sprocket to put on corrado 2.9 engine camshaft.

question is, is it as simple as that to swap it over nothing else needs to be done?

also that bracket, is there a certain way it goes onto my new corrado 2.9 engine or can i just put it on any way??? i take it the sprocket must have some sort of groove?

timing_zpswpc5cxtx.jpg

Edited by paceo

i think the cam is on the other shaft with a coilpack engine as compared with the dizzy engine.

i think the cam is on the other shaft with a coilpack engine as compared with the dizzy engine.

the coilpack engine wont have the bracket that runs the dizzy, the other cam on a coilpack engine you have the magnet for the cam sensor :thumbleft:

Yes, real easy, just swap the bits over from your 2.8 to the 2.9, IIRC you will also need to use the 2.8 top chain cover.

Get both engines next to each other and it'll be obvious which bits need to be swapped.

For info, 2.8 (AAA) and 2.9 (ABV) cams are exactly the same.

Rog.

Yes, real easy, just swap the bits over from your 2.8 to the 2.9, IIRC you will also need to use the 2.8 top chain cover.

Get both engines next to each other and it'll be obvious which bits need to be swapped.

For info, 2.8 (AAA) and 2.9 (ABV) cams are exactly the same.

Rog.

yes i know about the top timing chain cover as my golf runs dizzy and the corrado engine going into my golf is a coilpack, its just the sprocket i need to swap i guess! is there a certain way i need to put the dizzy sprocket on? or do i just set both engines to TDC then remove the sprockets, so the dizzy sprocket from my golf engine is in exactly the same place when i put it on the corrado engine? or i will mess the firing order up if i put it on in any direction?

Edited by paceo

It's keyed mate, it will only go on one way.

Rog.

thanks dude, just covering my back! just dont want to mess the timing up etc.....