sankysvr6

Something loose? help

Don't you wish, sometimes you should have just left the corrado in the garage looking pretty. Lol

Anyway as you may or may have not read I've got my G60 back on the road, and with it has come other annoying problems.

Driving around today, if i come on and off the gas pedal in quick presses it feels like there is an unsprung weight moving back and forth. Maybe it's the engine or gearbox that's loose or something.

I have had all the engine and gear box mounts replaced already, so not sure what else it could be.

It's hard to feel the movement in 1st and 2nd gears, but it's easily felt in 3rd and 4th gears.

Can somebody please help, and maybe point me in the right direction.

Sorry to hear u having problems too, Sanky!

Wish i can help after all the help u gave my car :(

Hope it gets sorted soon!

Have a look at the thread below and then have a look at yours ......... just a thought. Just another thought........ check the wheel studs on the front wheels, my son recently got his Mk4 Golf 18t back after a mechanic mate replaced both front wishbones and experienced similar symptoms before he discovered four loose studs and a missing one on the front off-side wheel.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=90548

I've looked at the gearbox bracket, and it looks okay so don't think that's my problem. The wheel bolts are all new and fitted by me, but will check them again.

Would worn cross member bushes cause this? And how difficult are they to change.

Even though you've done the mounts, check the bracket holding the front mount hasn't broken at one of the lugs that the long starter motor bolts thread into as that would certainly give you the symptoms your describing.

Okay got few things to check, so will go over these and report back.

Here is a link to a video of the engine moving, I've put it into 1st gear and lifting the clutch.

So I've taken things off to check the front engine mount, it looks okay but I'm not 100% sure.

[ATTACH]81264[/ATTACH]

When I lift the engine from the Sump with a jack it's lifting about 10mm.

How is the front mount bracket secured to the engine?

Also is there meant to be this much movement in the top of the strut, when the wheels are off the ground. This is on both sides.

Edited by sankysvr6

You have that wee short bolt you can see but there is too very long bots that hold the starter moter to the geatbox, they thread into captive nuts on that bracket and can sometimes snap. Also make sure the bolt at the bottom of the mount is tight ( accessible fron underneath front crossmember.

Okay I've found the bolts you mean

Top bolt

[ATTACH]81266[/ATTACH]

Bottom bolt

[ATTACH]81267[/ATTACH]

If remove the top bolt only off the engine mount, and I jack the engine up. Shouldn't the engine lift up from the mount so?

[ATTACH]81268[/ATTACH]

You want to check them bolts at the other end where the screw onto the mounting bracket.

Yeah removing that nut (bottom pic) will allow the engine too move upwards at the front. Also the bolt undeneath that engine mount, holdong intofront crossmember will allow movement if loose.

Okay removed all the bolts for the starter motor and the holder for the front mount thing.

All is okay, so I think it's safe to rule the front mounts out.

Met up with Vag Hag, this evening, and he gave the engine a quick shake, and reckons the mounts are okay.

It's booked into the garage this Monday coming, so will see what they say.

Seems well screwed down to me mate. Hopefully garage find your fault :)

Again hats off to you, your car is very very nice!

Fingers crossed for u, Sanky!

I do NOT want to cruise all the way to CCGB Stanford by myself :( :( :(

Thanks Chris,

Checked a few RR videos and the engine does bounce about quite a bit like you said, so think my videos of me lifting the engine are a bit irrelevant now.

Chees Wayne, hopefully it will be all done by then or at least I'll know if there is anything up with it.

Well got the car back from the garage, loads of nice compliments about the car.

An hours labour charge lighter

But still no joy with the problem. They can't find anything untoward with car.

:( :( :(

Over to ChrisU then?

May be worth a 2nd opinion. There is a great indie place in Barnsley that may be able to help. Let me know if you want details sanky

Will do Chris, but think I'm going to sit on it for awhile and see if anything unfolds.

I'm getting the same sort of sound just by pressing the clutch in out with the engine running. Son not not sure if it's all related.

I think you might be right.

I'm going to see the guys at Dubforce in Leeds, as they reckon it's the thrust bearing. So have suggested I have the clutch changed at the same time.

Which I don't think is a bad idea, as it will be nice to have a new clutch fitted.

Not sure what the cost will be just yet, anyone have rough price as a guide.