thegolfman

Couple of quick questions.

Temperature gauge -

Having built a MK2 VR previously, I used the MK3 clocks. The temperature gauge would always stay in the dead centre when up to temp. Where as on the Corrado, it goes up to 110, and rads kick in bringing it back down like my old MK2's used to. Is this correct?

Suspension -

Currently running what I think are -40mm lowering springs on standard 165k shocks. It feels very crashy and worse than a cheapy set of eBay coilovers does. Can anyone confirm what their ride is like with lowering springs and standard shocks or even coilovers? I'm pretty sure my shocks are past it, but want something to compare to and confirm.

I replaced every component in my cooling system apart from sensors, and my clocks always read low (75-80) unless I'm sat in traffic or giving it serious beans in hot weather, and it'll go up like you're seeing Tony. Same as you, fans kick in and bring it under control. I had a mk3 valver and that stayed rock solid on 90 all the time as well. Keep an eye on oil temp though via the mfa just to be sure. I always have my oil temp displayed after said mk3 oil cooler failed on the A38, resulting in catastrophic engine overheating/failure! Didn't see the coolant temp rise until low level light came on, at which point it was too late!

When the fan kicks in at 110, that's the black temp switch on the engine cooling manifold doing it's job. There is a radiator switch on the radiator near the battery which should cause the fans to kick in at 92 or so and 98 or so. My suspicion is that this switch is gone or possibly not plugged in. It costs about 12 or 15 quid from vw heritage for a new one.

I'd suggest that if you are going to break into the coolant system, you also replace the yellow coolant switch on the engine as that may be giving you false readings. They are a similar price as the radiator switch.

Not had it since last summer, and don't think it went that high either. Went up to around 100 and stage 2 kicked in bringing it down. Was when we had mega weather and I was sat in a jam for a while. Tonys car was tested when stationary though, as it only had a short blast prior to MOT for a quick Italian tune up. Fans kicked in correctly though 100%.

I'll have to double check when fans kick in - but it was a slightly different question I was asking.

What I meant was - on modern cars they get upto temp and sit rock solid in the middle of the gauge (whatever the temp is within a certain window) then only fluctuate if there is a problem. Is the Corrado different in that it indicates an actual temp at all times, meaning it goes over halfway before fans bring it back down? I think you've answered that now though :)

Going back to temperatures, I think the thermostat might be a little lazy. It takes an age to get up to temp. I remember my old VR being quite quick I think?

And Suspension - Sean, maybe its because I've been driving more modern stuff for a few years? Its like the lowered springs have reduced the amount the shock can travel feeling like it doesn't absorb bumps at all. I dont know. Think a decent set of springs and shocks is on the cards though - dont fancy coilovers as I see no need. With the speed humps round here its low enough.