Cressa

Which one?

My biggest question has to be, g60 or vr6. I've only really had gti's. The 2.0 16v engine was reliable for me years ago but i need a corrado

so purchasing a corrado i am looking forward to, but dont want an expensive to run model.

This has probably been asked 1000times before, so apologies if it has. I would just like owners opinions. Thanks anyone

Its a big debate, usually ends in peoples pointing forward opinions of the model they have.

I went with a VR as top gear feature said it was the one to go for and most old features/adverts seem to rate the VR6 as the range topper. I also wanted a larger lazier engine then something small with a turbo or charger making the power up. I just saw the VR6 as longer lasting.

really it is down to personal choice cressa

have a good read of the buying guides on here & maybe see if there are any members close to you & be cheeky & ask for a looksee & passenger ride

personally i have a 1.8 16v & a VR & have to say i love both for what each offers

also, again personally, i wouldnt be too put off about the chains etc on VR's as you will have a similar trade off with a G60 as the chargers need rebuilding

IIRC a charger would nee rebuilding more often than a VR chains need doing - for example i only had my chains done at about 152K when i asked stealth to do a top end rebuild

Having owned and driven two of each I say there really is not much to choose from a performance point of view. The driving experience is totally different with the G60 needing to be driven to deliver the performance whereas the VR is just a big lazy lump which has loads of torque in any gear which delivers effortless refined power. I'd think that the G60 would be the more expensive in the long term what with supercharger re-builds etc. The VR is surprisingly economical unless it's all town driving and mpg in the 30s would be quite common.

Personally the VR is the one for me and the later interior is just that bit nicer too.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference so try to test drive a couple of each and make your own mind up.

Based purely on the way they feel to drive and the interior/exterior styling, it would be the VR6 for me. Plus the 4 pot engines feel kinda course in the cabin, where as the VR6 is more refined.

I have been very tempted by the VR for practicality, just a blue G60 scratches an old itch. But not if running costs are high. Thanks for your statements, I do appreciate them

I had a VR6 a year ago, and it was very refined, really nice to drive, engine was so smooth, plenty of power but lazy, I could definitely notice the extra weight (owning a 16v before). Now I have just bought a G60, and it feels a lot more rough and ready, the engine sounds no where near as good (maybe personal preference), but feels a lot more nimble in the corners.

At the moment, if I'm honest, I think I'd go back to the VR if I could. But maybe that's because I haven't driven the G60 enough yet!

Even the last of the VR6's are knocking on for 20 years old.

Running costs (bar fuel) will really about how the car has been looked after by it's previous owners.

Finding a good 16v or G60 now will be difficult. They are out there but sheer numbers will make the VR a much better bet.

If running costs are your primary concern then you are probably better off looking at something else.

Edited by marks2