zygalski

VR6 - Comfy suspension for a daily driver wanted

As above, need this sorted for a purchase hopefully very soon.

Nothing hard at all. I'd like OEM quality ride for a daily driver 4000-5000 miles per year.

Does such a setup exist off the shelf, or are all kits designed for trackday specials?

Both Bilstein B12's & AP coilovers have been suggested to me, supporters of both saying the other is too hard!

Confused much?

I think the AP's are going to be a bit firm.

Are you looking for an OEM ride height or wanting something a little lowered?

I don't mind up to about a 30mm drop as Corrados came out of the factory on stilts :bonk: but definitely nothing on the firm side.

The Koni STR.T kit is good. I used to run it on my 2.0 16v a few years ago. A modest drop of around 30-40mm and good damping - handles nicely without being too crashy :) Not too pricey either I don't think. Ignore the gaudy colour scheme!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Koni-VW-Corrado-VR6-91-95-STR-T-Suspension-Kit-/380663348972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58a14dbeec

B12's are good but you won't find any kits that drop 30 or 40 mm will give OE levels of ride comfort. I've just swapped my standard setup for B12's and they are noticeably firmer but nowhere near like coilovers.

It would be interesting to hear from anyone has has driven on both the B12s & the Koni STR.Ts. From what I can make out the Konis might be a bit less firm.

If you want something forgiving, try Bilstein B6 with PI springs.....or do some internetting to find out what the standard spring rates are and get some the same but -30mm. Failing that, you can actually send a standard spring to an engineering firm and they will tell you the spring rate.

B6 is their famous inverted monotube and the correct strut length for standard and up to -30mm. B8 and B12 are the same as B6, but with shorter strut bodies to remove the droop from lowering springs.

I really wouldn't go any lower than 25-30mm personally. Even if you can go low and retain the ride comfort, the one thing that wrecks a Corrado's handling more than anything else is the altered roll centre.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Standard is a weird setup. Harsh over rough roads and under damped on B roads, causing a wallowy sensation. Bilstein B4s might fix that though, which is their OEM grade damper, but better quality and slightly firmer rebound damping.

But if you go B4's you have to stick with OE ride height. I fitted B4's to mine on lowered springs and basically it killed the dampers :(

I'm swaying towards the Koni STR.T's. -30mm should be ok.

Presumably I'll also need new polybushes & bump stops etc. Possibly top mounts too, depending on their condition.

Now all I need is the VR6 to fit them on. Hopefully all goes well on the 25th....

Don't switch to poly bushes - they'll stiffen the ride up. Stick to OE bushings if you want to retain some comfort still!

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay, but here's some photos of my car fitted with Koni STRT suspension with standard Speedlines. I'm happy with the look!

Cheers Emma. Looks perfect!

An imminent house move has meant that my search for a VR6 has been delayed. :(

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay, but here's some photos of my car fitted with Koni STRT suspension with standard Speedlines. I'm happy with the look!

What are they like for comfort and firmness?

Ive just bought a h&r cup kit comfort + new bushes&joints. It should lower the car approx 40mm. I was also looking for a suspension set that would be firm, but still nice comfortable to drive. And really couldn't tell which one to buy, so i took a chance and bought the H&R, mostly because of the fact that the shocks and the springs are designed to be used together.

What are they like for comfort and firmness?

I would also like to know the results to these, also will be on standard speedlines.

I was swaying towards AP's.