fla

amp not switching on

Finally wired in the amp which is basically for the front door speakers. I've also put the crossovers at the front. But the amp doesn't switch on although there is power going to it. The blue remote wire is also connected but not sure how to check this is sending an on signal to the amp. The rear speakers are working though.

Its a Rockford Fosgate Punch 120 amp.

It should have 5v fed into the remote line if I'm not mistaken so maybe measure the radio output and go from there? Does the radio have an option to turn on/off the remote line? I know mine does.

I assume you have earthed the amp and that there is a fuse in the fuse holder in the power supply cable to the amp. Use a multimeter to check that you have power at the positive terminal on the amp and that you have power at the remote terminal on the amp when the radio is on. If you have power at both terminals and a good earth then you may have a problem with the actual amp. Check the amp and see if there are any 'on board' fuses on view anywhere. Some amps will have one or more blade fuses plugged into them on the terminal panel for on board protection. If you find any, check them too.

Edited by leon263

hasan - have you double checked the remote wire out of the sub goes to the correct one on the head unit?

also, if you have, it is worth checking the wire itself as I found that I had to replace my remote wire recently as it had a break in it somewhere

thanks for the comments.

Leon263 - checking the power at the remote terminal: I assume this is +ve? If so, is it just a question of checking the voltage between this and the ground connection feed to the amp?

thanks for the comments.

Leon263 - checking the power at the remote terminal: I assume this is +ve? If so, is it just a question of checking the voltage between this and the ground connection feed to the amp?

Correct, you should get a reading if there is power at the remote terminal when the radio is switched on and no reading when the radio is switched off.

OK there is power at the remote so it looks like the amp is toast sadly. I've opened it up to see if anything looks burnt out, but the circuit board looks fine. Surprisingly there does not appear to be any blade fuse either near the terminals or on the board.

So looks like I'll need to get a new amp. Any recommendations? Nothing window shattering, just sufficient to drive the 6.5 door speakers and give more depth to the sound.

Again, aksing the obvious ......... I assume you do have a set of RCA leads running from the rear of the radio down to the amp to supply the audio signal. If so, have a look on the control panel of the amp for a gain control. This is a small rotary control on the amp which basically controls the volume. With everything switched on, try rotating it fully clockwise which would be full volume and see if that makes any difference. Failing that, could you possibly post a photo showing all the connections you have made and all the control settings on the amp, just to see if anything obviously wrong stands out.

yes they were connected, but the power led was not lit. I had hoped that there was a burnt out fuse that could have been replaced but sadly not. I've removed it from the seat back and have been looking at this amp from Bass Face:

Bass Face DB2.1 800W Stereo 2 Channel Car Amplifier

Thoughts?

It also seems that the MOSFETs could have burnt out (according to a youtube video on repairing them), but i've not removed the strip to see underneath. Is it worth getting it fixed? Don't really want to spend more than about £40 on an amp, so the budget is quite tight.

Don't really want to spend more than about £40 on an amp, so the budget is quite tight.

Shame your not local as 1. I'd have had a look at it for you and 2. I have a nice Sony 2 channel amp in my garage that could have been had for £40.

very find of you MZ.

Any details on the amp?

What do you think of the Bass Face one? I suppose £40 delivered its worth a shot, no?

very find of you MZ.

Any details on the amp?

What do you think of the Bass Face one? I suppose £40 delivered its worth a shot, no?

I personally wouldn't touch a amp so cheap. Offering loads of watts doesn't offer quality of sound, plus likely to be quoting peak power not RMS.

You get what you pay for with car audio.

Schoolboy error - was using the remote control wire to switch on the amp. Swopped over to the right one and everything is ok. I was expecting the sound to be significantly superior to the hu direct with more depth but it isn't really. Perhaps I've not set the hu and amp properly?

Would welcome some advice here. Thanks

thanks Sean. Perhaps i will need to get a small sub for the boot - somethingng i was trying to avoid.

As another point, since installing the amp the radio reception has become so bad i cant pick up the normal stations and there is a high pitched whine as though something is charging? I'll check the earths tomorrow or see if there are any shorts, but any other suggestions.

Have you seen Kip_VR's enclosed sub build? Looks top notch and could be an option?

I'm not sure what is causing the feedback though? Have you lost some insulation on a power feed somewhere?