ryanb1031

Easiest Plug and Play engine swap for SLC?

Hello all i recently purchased a 1993 VW Corrado SLC. The corrado has a vr6 engine swapped in that came from a 1997 Jetta with an original SLC tranny. This motor has about 90k miles on it and i am looking to replace it with a motor with less miles. I am fairly new to the VW world and I'm not sure what other engines can be bolted on directly into my corrado.

What engine swaps are the easiest plug and play bolt ons for the corrado i have?

Is a 1.8t swap a simple plug and play swap?

What are the cheapest options vs expensive options?

What other parts might i need for a swap other than the motor?

I would like to use the the same tranny i have now in the car so what swaps are compatible with the slc tranny?

Here are just a few specs and mods of my current corrado i would like to have a swap that is compatible with these mods that i currently have:

12k on the body

90k on the motor, the motor is a 2.8L vr6 swapped from a 1997 jetta,

Sachs clutch kit,

giac performance chip,

race land coilovers,

tectonics exhaust,

mk4 shift box.

I have done tons of research but have found mixed answers and and opinions on the swaps. Im hoping i can find clear cut precise info on here so that i can begin this project. Any help will be much appreciated!

What's the budget?

What ever is the cheapest and compatible with what i already have, ideally $2000 would be the most but if it costs more to do i wouldn't mind going over a little bit

24v conversion in either 3.2 or 2.8 guise. You can transfer everything except the chip. Not much more power but much better driveability.

24v conversion in either 3.2 or 2.8 guise. You can transfer everything except the chip. Not much more power but much better driveability.

Thanks, how hard would it be to do a turbo swap like a 1.8t or something best fit for boost?

Thanks, how hard would it be to do a turbo swap like a 1.8t or something best fit for boost?

with these engine swaps its not about how hard/easy it is , its about how much your wiling to put in to it or to pay someone else to do it for you, i suggest you spend an evening looking through other peoples build threads and seeing whats involved, 1.8t swaps and 24v swaps have been done quite alot into mk2 golfs and rados so theres plenty of info about and theres all ways more then one way to do the swap,

with the VR6 02a tranny only the 6 cylinder vr6

{2.8 3.2 3.6 }engines will bolt up to it, if you wanted to do a 1.8t swap then you would need the 4 cylinder 02a tranny

with these engine swaps its not about how hard/easy it is , its about how much your wiling to put in to it or to pay someone else to do it for you, i suggest you spend an evening looking through other peoples build threads and seeing whats involved, 1.8t swaps and 24v swaps have been done quite alot into mk2 golfs and rados so theres plenty of info about and theres all ways more then one way to do the swap,

with the VR6 02a tranny only the 6 cylinder vr6

{2.8 3.2 3.6 }engines will bolt up to it, if you wanted to do a 1.8t swap then you would need the 4 cylinder 02a tranny

Thanks for the info i defiantly will take the time to look through some previous posts about the swaps. As for the reasearch ive done and with the advice for you guys I'm leaning more towards updating my current motor with cams and other standalone system then just turboing my current engine.

I agree, research the options, plenty out there but if the car is in good nick and has low mileage, if you're doing this for a few extra horses on top of what you already have, it's a lot of work for not a lot of results.

i've put some 264 cams in mine plus obd2 and whilst it not yet been driven properly the difference versus standard is really quite significant. Not a very difficult conversion to do, its mainly the loom that takes a bit of time, but there's plenty of info here.

Thanks, im leaning towards the 264 cams as an upgrade.

i've put some 264 cams in mine plus obd2 and whilst it not yet been driven properly the difference versus standard is really quite significant. Not a very difficult conversion to do, its mainly the loom that takes a bit of time, but there's plenty of info here.