Sign in to follow this  
ben16v

cutting bumpstops

when cutting bumpstops, do you trim off the same amount as the is being lowered ie 30mm drop = trim bumpstops 30mm

which end of these bumpstops do you trim when fitting to lowered suspension??

thanx

ON the rears, trim the top-most segment off.

On the fronts, get a set of the shorter bumpstops designed for use on the Golf with factory-fit lowered suspension.

cheers

my bits are all going on on monday so i need to do it then, havnt got time to order new ones... can i cut the fronts??

I did but not to much. On rears just do what Mike said. The rears are more important as the car essentially rides on them.

oooh, just noticed this. My car's coming down 40mm on Thursday. Do i need to trim the bumpstops down (no time to get replacement upgrades).......... HELP!!! 8)

What picture is the fronts and what pic is the rears?

Cheers Fraser

top pic is the rears,

David.

i spoke to c&r regarding cut stops on my konis( they seem bouncey )....he said use powerflex front -30mm and std vw rear, he did mention sometimes you need trim the rears 5mm at a time ,but it was unclear why you should trim 5mm at a time and when to stop ...he did say that because your lowering 30/40mm etc that doesnt mean cut 30/40 off at the rear

I am curious about this. I have eibach springs fitted to my VR6 and one of the rears sits very slightly lower than the other. Could this be because the bump stops were trimmed unevenly? im not happy with it to the extent that I intend to pull the rear suspension off and do it myself and replace the top mount rubbers as these wernt done.

c&r also explained that theyre more like spring assisters than bumpe stops....you may find theyre really old and falling apart...make sure you use vw foam type ones , they said try it std length at first

Use the Febi Rubber bump stops from GSF (they will last much longer than the foam ones), use a hacksaw to trim them down...

looking at the photos, when i replaced my rear springs n shocks, the 'bump stops' where about 2 inchs big n falling apart, but never replaced them, this why my car makes BAD grinding/rubbing noise when i go over a bump with full tank n 2 peeps in it??? how/why are these so important??

I am curious about this. I have eibach springs fitted to my VR6 and one of the rears sits very slightly lower than the other. Could this be because the bump stops were trimmed unevenly?

Far more likely to be caused by worn or badly adjusted rear axle mountings/bushes - my G60's the same.

looking at the photos, when i replaced my rear springs n shocks, the 'bump stops' where about 2 inchs big n falling apart, but never replaced them, this why my car makes BAD grinding/rubbing noise when i go over a bump with full tank n 2 peeps in it??? how/why are these so important??

As stevo29 says - rear bump stops also act as "helper" springs. Not having them may not be the cause of your problem but certainly won't help the situation. Get some new ones fitted asap.

right, will be on order this weekend i think!! cheers fella!! :D

Make sure you replace the top rear shocker mounting bushes as well, unless they were renewed when you replaced the rear springs & shocks.

GS&F part no's :-

45722B - Rear top mount bush - upper - (VW part no. 191 512 335)

45722C - Rear top mount bush - lower - (VW part no. 191 512 333)

45723 - Rear bump stop - (VW part no. 191 512 131B)

Right, so thats not good then i take it!?!?! the bushes came in the new shocks didnt they? i didnt replace anything, just the new shocks n new springs, it only bangs on 1 side, i thought it was the petrol pipe! so nothing 2 worry about..... :oops:

bighands, I doubt the new bump stops will have come with the new shocks & springs - the new top mountings definitely won't have come with them.

cool, the bump stops didnt, so looks like new bump stops and new top mounts, why new top mounts tho?? sorry bout 100 questions, just trying 2 get ma head round it! cheers in advance 8)

The top mounts are just like big rubber bushes & are the ONLY things that stop the rear suspension legs from "spearing" your rear quarter trim panels.

The rubber deteriorates with age & can (in extremes) push right through the mounting hole in the chassis.

They're "cheap as chips" to buy & you'll have to remove them to do the bumpstops anyway.

** BUMP **

I've got to get my new coilovers fitted soon, so just want to make sure of a couple of things:

Will standard VW VR6 front top mounts be ok with my new adjustable suspension, or do I have to get some other front top mounts?

Also.. Standard VW rear bumpstops - are they ok to use? There seems to be varying opinions on how much to trim them by! :?

Sorry if I sound like a newbie, I dont have a clue when it comes to these things :oops:

You won't need the VW rear bumpstops - your coilovers will have the bumpstops built into them. Worth changing the rear top mounting rubbers though.

ON the rears, trim the top-most segment off.

On the fronts, get a set of the shorter bumpstops designed for use on the Golf with factory-fit lowered suspension.

But what model MK4 bumpstops do u get - VW listed 4 different stops in the MK4 range depending on model? Anyone got a part number?