paceo

when is it best to install the vr6 flywheel crank seal?? timing cover on or off?

the crank seal behind the flywheel on the vr6 engine, is it best to install it with the lower timing cover on or off? whats the best way? a lot of people say the plastic guide you buy makes it more difficult.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa_zps4v9umlwj.jpg

Edited by paceo

Fit it with cover off. It's not just slide in. I use a bit of wood and a hammer to tap it in. Just take your time and work around the edge.

As above, fit it with the cover off as you will need to drive it into position.

its quite a tight fit, I heated up my cover in the oven and cooled the seal in the freezer to help with fitting but it was still tight and needed some hammer action.

One thing I did notice, when I refitted the cover (with new crank seal) it was tight so I pre-lubed the crank shaft, it is a little fiddly and the first time I fitted it the spring on the seal came off, luckily my engine was on an engine stand and I noticed it when I went to refit the sump but it was still a pain removing the whole cover again and refitting it... it's worth getting a torch and checking the seal is sested correctly before you do the cover bolts up.

Rog.

have you got a plastic guide you want to send me, obviously I will pay. mine did not come with it for some reason?

until its flush ive done it to, bloody hell it is a pain to fit isnt it! just had a trial run and the spring came off the seal! im thinking of gently using a blunt bread knife to help it in?

I never had a guide with mine, it's possible to fit without a guide, just use lube and make sure the spring doesn't come off.

Rog.

yes rog its just fiddly and especially when im using sealent trying not to get it everywhere as im a clean freak, I notice from factory they never used sealent?

Currently in the process of doing this myself with the engine in the car, can anyone confirm the top cover also have to be taken off ? (can't remember how this was), but thinking it would be easier to install bottom cover then top cover again =