Bs6VR6

Ongoing clutch nightmare.

Looks the buisness mate, I'm in the same boat, as soon as the clutch is done I can get mine MOT'd, I share your frustration bud. Except your paint is far far nicer than mine lol!!!

no update as of yet, my pedal is working properly though, its just that one time it stayed down, i did drive it and gear changes is good although im paranoid about it sticking down when feathering the clutch so i avoided that,

a tip i found for bleeding is to remove the slave and tie it up , use a large g clamp or some way of holding the rod all the way in

bleed with the pressure bleeder , give the slave a tap to release any bubbles

it should now be spot on , if the pedal isnt rock hard with it still clamped then theres a m/c problem

Steveo, I may just give this a go for peace of mind. Is it then just a case of taking the clamp off, bolting the slave back in and job done? Do you bleed it with the pedal up or down? Sorry for all the questions just want to be clear in my own head as you hear so many differing opinions on which is the best method.

VW owner, good to hear, could just of been a case of it settling, if it's remained ok till now I'd imagine everything to be ok.

Cheers,

yea im just paranoid about it sticking down whilst in traffic,, What actually springs the clutch pedal back? im guessing the clutch? is it aided by a return spring on the pedal aswell? because mine kinda feels lighter then before

I had the same problem when I got mine, the pedal kept sticking to the floor. I replaced the slave cyclinder and it didn't look the best. I bought a bleed kit that you attach to your spare wheel for pressure. I attatched the pipe on the slave bleed nipple ( obviously loosend ), also took the cap of the resivour and made sure the pedal was up. I then bled it till the fluid filled the resivour, took a little out but left it a little over the line. Screwed the nipple up and its good as new

i did the g clamp method with the pedal up ...after youve bled it , confirm the pedal is rock hard with the clamp on then remove it and bolt it back together

right progress!, pressure bled from reservoir , got a few bubbles through then ran clear then ran out of brake fluid lol, But the pedal springs back better then before i even changed the hose! its really good ! , Need to put it through the "reverse carefully out of shed challenge" to confirm, but im beginning to think the 2 man push/pump method is abit hit or miss on the clutch side

right just to inform you guys , pressure bleed worked an absolute treat as it returns fine and the clutch biting point is were it needs to be but after holding the clutch down for an extended period of time, upon release its return is sticky you could use it like that but im guessing its only going to get worse and idd rather not get caught out by it, so iv got a new master cylinder comming as im sure its just worn seals/age related and probably the original one!

Make sure its not getting caught on the plastic trim parts of under dash shelving, as i've done that before, drove like it for a while before finding out.

cheers jim, iv also had that when i brought the car , iv looked and nothings making contact even sprayed some penetrating fluid on the moving pedal bits with no effect, other wise the clutch pedal feels 100% its only when you hold it down for say a minute or longer that the return is rather sticky,

Update after replacing master line and slave with no joy dropped the box at weekend and I found bent clutch fork damaged clutch housing and plate

Ah well done, at least you know what it is...

Must have been a serious failure to bend the fork - they're fairly thick metal!!

Well I drove the car to get the exhaust fitted in silverstone and it drove great clutch was nice I then picked the car up and had problems getting in gear I just thought old car been sat for a while seals are probably perished so I just replaced them thinking that will be all it need but seeing the damage on the clutch plate it looks like someone held it at 7k and dropped the clutch but hey ho can't prove anything so it's having a sachs 3 piece flywheel is ok

They do get old and bend. I've had it twice now. Just about to fit a new fork. Used a second hand one last time and they both bent at same place

For anyone wanting to know the quality of these!http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400777974942?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=842848815014&rmvSB=true

its genuine bosch! so should be pretty damn good, turned up today so ill get that fitted soon ish..

Hey all,

Just thought I'd give you an update on how I got mine resolved. Ended up replacing both the slave and master. Still the pedal had a notch in the last bit of movement that meant it wouldn't return correctly. Upon closer inspection and after a fair bit of head scratching it transpires that a previous owner had fitted a small retaining screw through the pedal and into the white clip on the end of the master cylinder. The slot it locates into must of got splayed in an earlier life I imagine. Refitted a tiny grub screw and low and behold pedal now feels superb. In fact after driving the landrover for work recently I feared it was too light but think this may just be in comparison.

I used a Delphi master cylinder off eBay, cost about £50 but appeared good quality and has same pedal figment so no need to change this. Only modification needed was to rebend the high pressure outlet but this is easy enough. All appears well now. Getting it mapped this weekend then hopefully MOT next week!!