ChrisL

Bonnet bra - opinions please.

Just wondered what the general impressions of bonnet bras is? I've tried one before but it seemed to put fine scratches / scuffs on the bonnet. After using it I would have to machine polish the bonnet.

Was it because it wasn't a new one and maybe didn't fit tight enough?

Yep, 3m tape that is used when polishing is a good compromise to protect for marring and swirls. Or go to a local wrap company and have it carefully wrapped.

No I haven't got one, just seen them on ebay for £35 and seems like a good price.

Its the marring that puts me off and don't fancy having to lay tape down before using it. didn't know if there was one that didn't marr the bonnet.

Cheers for the offer but I'd end up with it for ages as I don't get over your way to often to pick it up and return it.

I bought one of the ones of eBay a few years back and had the same problems as you say with fine scratching. Also when i got up to motorway speeds sometimes it would "inflate" slightly and puff up.

When I got my recent G60 it actually came with another bonnet bra, but this one feels a lot more substantial. Its got a lot more weight to it, like its been made out of much thicker material, and also feels softer on the inside and on the upper seam where they seem to rub on the bonnet. I have used it a good number of times while driving back to my parents (250 miles) and it leaves no marks at all, much better than the one from eBay.

I can't remember there being any markings on it (brand etc) but will have a nosey round tonight see if I can see anything.

It may be a bit of an expensive option Chris but given the car and the originality of it, would be it be worth considering looking into clear wrap type stuff that they seem to do on a lot of super cars?

Its called venture sheild , iv used it on some very expensive boats with great finishes

You would have to wrap the full bonnet though inless you wasnt bothered to much about a slight line where the matariel would finish ! Saying that it would be less visable than a bonnet bra

On another note i was thinking of getting some kits made up for the rear arches where they always get scratched and other areas like the bonnet and the boot shut

Its called venture sheild , iv used it on some very expensive boats with great finishes

You would have to wrap the full bonnet though inless you wasnt bothered to much about a slight line where the matariel would finish ! Saying that it would be less visable than a bonnet bra

On another note i was thinking of getting some kits made up for the rear arches where they always get scratched and other areas like the bonnet and the boot shut

kits sound good m8

ive looked into a few similar solutions previously but ive not heard of venture shield

I just ordered one from auto bra

Supposed to be good quality.

Recommended by another member on here.

I will put it on and let you kno how it goes as soon as it arrives. On back order at the mo!

I just ordered one from auto bra

Supposed to be good quality.

Recommended by another member on here.

I will put it on and let you kno how it goes as soon as it arrives. On back order at the mo!

i used an autobra one on my previous rado and have just bought another for the current C. They are good quality and provide a very good fit. I also use one on my Audi A4, again very good quality. The thing to remember is that they are not designed to be left on all the time and using it in the rain is asking for trouble.

get on it buddy sounds like a fine idea

I wouldn't go near a bonnet bra, my sister had one for her ibiza and it absolutely wrecked the bonnet. It traps moisture and caused lacquer peel as well as scratching it like crazy!

I wouldn't go near a bonnet bra, my sister had one for her ibiza and it absolutely wrecked the bonnet. It traps moisture and caused lacquer peel as well as scratching it like crazy!

i imagine she left it on too long, it will never do that if used for single journeys as is their intention. All these T4s and T5s you see driving around with them that clearly never take them off are gonna be in for a nasty surprise when they do...

I like the sound of the film but would that not also chip? Gonna be painting bonnet today if I can drag myself out of bed. Also can it be polished?

I like the sound of the film but would that not also chip? Gonna be painting bonnet today if I can drag myself out of bed. Also can it be polished?

The stuff I've seen doesn't chip and if you get scratches in it, you just warm it up and they disappear!

The stuff I've seen doesn't chip and if you get scratches in it, you just warm it up and they disappear!

Correct , or a boiling kettle water makes them dissapear aswell or it does with the venturesheild stuff