Drucey

advice on heater matrix

HI all, im doing my heater matrix on my 1.8 16v (kr) I have gone all out and taken out the dash. all has gone fine up until it came to taking the nut from the inside of the bulk head :-( the top one came off with no problems but the 2nd (lower one) is just spinning.. the nut and the bolt is just turning. I have been trying for ages to free the nut off and used all sorts of freeze sprays etc.. seems the only way is to angle grind the bolt off and replace when I can free the heater box. has anybody got any ideas? don't want to use heat as it will probably do more damage to the paint and the box.. thanks

Hi Drucey, If you look at the back of the matrix housing inside the car, you'll probably find that you've unscrewed the thread from the box so it will just pull out. I had this on mine. Then when u put it back, you just line up the thread again and screw it back in by turning the nut siezed on the other end of the thread in the engine bay.

Yeah it screws into the plastic housing, i ended up just pulling mine out and then sticking some glue/silicone on it before pushing the heater box back in.

Yep - the bolt itself that is attached to the heater box housing is threaded... so it should be unwinding itself.

I didn't realise this and sawed my heater box out... don't make the same mistake I did! :)

i just ripped mine out with mole grips as i was angry.its now missing one but has done for 3 years