Chuggs1

Waterless Coolant??!!

Just seen someone on Facebook Corrado site say they have put Evans Waterless coolant in their VR and it now sits mid 80s round town.

Does this sound correct - what advantages and disadvantages are there?

I think the main disadvantage is cost. It can't be mixed with water, so if you spring a minor leak on a long journey, you need to carry a big bottle in the boot for safety, and it's not cheap stuff! With G13, you can pull into any garage and top up with plain water to keep you going.

I suppose another disadvantage is no one really knows what the long term reliability is like as it's not been on the market that long.

Water works for me. It's cheap and has served us well for decades :)

is there not potential for an issue if the flow rate of the waterless coolant differs to that of a water/G13 mix?

due to the very small channels the VR has to increase heat dissipation

IIRC ive read that you shouldn't use things such as wynns coolant stop leak as the viscosity of them can block the channels I mentioned above

Its actually been around for years, If you watch Jay Leno on youtube he has been using for 15yrs or so.

I looked into it a lot as my engine block is all new and thought it was be nice for the no corrosion thing, which is another interesting thing shown on the Jay leno review. (worth a watch)

I've ended up deciding not to use it, for cost and for the top up reasons, i don't fancy having to carry it around with me, nor making sure i have some in case i need to drain the system to replace something. It doesn't make the engine run cooler and when compared with water it doesn't transfer heat as well. The main bonus is there is no pressure so less chance of popping a hose etc, (although i never suffered with that until i went to jubliee clips, hence going back to the spring clamps). Am sure i read somewhere it puts more strain on the water pump as well.

Something else i read about it is that because you have no pressure, if something went wrong that would normally pop something you wouldn't know, it will just overheat (unless you constantly watch the gauge). It can also be more flammable, was a review of tests done by pouring it on a hot manifold, although some say normal coolant can do the same once the water steams away. (sounded more applicable to race cars etc) I think for a normal(ish) road car de-ionized water and VW coolant is fine.

Its actually been around for years, If you watch Jay Leno on youtube he has been using for 15yrs or so.

I looked into it a lot as my engine block is all new and thought it was be nice for the no corrosion thing, which is another interesting thing shown on the Jay leno review. (worth a watch)

I've ended up deciding not to use it, for cost and for the top up reasons, i don't fancy having to carry it around with me, nor making sure i have some in case i need to drain the system to replace something. It doesn't make the engine run cooler and when compared with water it doesn't transfer heat as well. The main bonus is there is no pressure so less chance of popping a hose etc, (although i never suffered with that until i went to jubliee clips, hence going back to the spring clamps). Am sure i read somewhere it puts more strain on the water pump as well.

Something else i read about it is that because you have no pressure, if something went wrong that would normally pop something you wouldn't know, it will just overheat (unless you constantly watch the gauge). It can also be more flammable, was a review of tests done by pouring it on a hot manifold, although some say normal coolant can do the same once the water steams away. (sounded more applicable to race cars etc) I think for a normal(ish) road car de-ionized water and VW coolant is fine.

excellent info thanks Jim

Thanks guys - really good information and review - thought it would not be just a do it and thought there wold be questions over this - just thought it was worth asking - thanks again

Didn't realise it had been around so long! I'm just getting too much into "manufacturer knows best" in my old age I think!

Just to add to question and statements - if not water and less pressure due to this isn't there less of a risk or something failing too? Also read somewhere you get more BHP - but I keeping reading that about various things which turns out to be total.... C@#p

my local motorfactor told me its used alot in agricultural vehicles and the stuff they use is cheaper