Nick 17

Help needed People (Sad times for myself)

Right people thank you for taking the time to read this and potentially offer some advise.

It is believed that my car has blown its head gasket. After investigation by a garage his "professional" opinion believes the head may be cracked. I haven't got the time nor money to start replacing these things and I need a car for commuting.

I don't wish to break the car as I feel the car is to good and I haven't got it in me to do so.

I have asked if the garage would be prepared to put 12 months mot on the car and then my plan would be to sell the car as spares or repairs due to the water loss, head issue. The car only has 109k miles and two owners which were a mother and son. I have files of history for the car another reason I don't wish to break the car.

I was wondering what you guys thought of my predicament and also what the car would be worth to sell as it is with and without an MOT.

As I said depressing topic for myself as I love the car and it is truly gutting that I am even writing this but any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Nick :(

What engine is it?

If the car isn't driveable currently it could take a few weeks to sell and you would be without a car during that time if you need the cash to buy a replacement car. You would also prob loose money when selling it.

It may be cheaper and quicker to repair it. Either with a new head or with a complete replacement engine.

Maybe post a wanted add on here for a head or complete engine and get a price from the garage for the labour if you can't complete the work yourself.

\Paddy

What are the symptoms? Whereabouts does he think it might be cracked and what sort of extent has he diagnosed it? i.e: has he just looked under the bonnet or stripping the engine down at all?

Hi Nick

I presume from what you've said that your water has mixed with your oil and currently have 'mayo' on and around your oil filler cap. Personally if that was me I would be trying to find a replacement head or a complete engine as mentioned above by other members, or you could maybe find a local company that can pressure test your head and do further investigations on your block if indeed you have cracked the bottom block. If you were intended to sell the car, I would have to agree with Paddy26's advice its probably quicker and cheaper to get it repaired.

if i was in your shoes and wanted to keep the corrado and get it back on the roads ASAP, the quickest and cheapest option is to source another 2nd hand engine from some one either breaking a corrado thats still in the car to be heard running or take a chance and get one that has been removed from the car from someone that can be trusted, most engines are cheap! and if your not botherd about sprucing it up with paint and replacing bits etc then it wont take long in terms of labour to directly swap them over,

His previous posts are about a VR6. If its mixing coolant and oil then its worth checking the heat exchanger first before condeming the head and block