Mawrick

Tips on culprit when missing Brake AND reverse light ? (VR6)

Just had mine in for MOT, but failed due to missing brake and reverse lights (I wasn't aware of this, and it have worked before) - but presume it might have happened after doing some other things, replacing a crank seal, and also taking out some older stereo stuff.

Anyone got any tips on what might be "common" for these two things to fail ?.

EDIT: The cable are hooked up in they bay itseems)

Wouldn't imagine the 2 faults are connected,

I would check the power supply to the reverse light switch first , if it's there then connect the 2 wires together and the lights should work, the switch is a fairly common failure

Wouldn't imagine the 2 faults are connected,

I would check the power supply to the reverse light switch first , if it's there then connect the 2 wires together and the lights should work, the switch is a fairly common failure

I recon it's just to short the cable then ? - I didn't get time today to check, but it might be something fitted wrong when I put back the transmission last time, IIRC there is a possibility that the thing that pushes the switch off/on can be placed wrong ?.

Can anyone confirm the aux-water pump should always be running or not? (I thought it would only run when car was hot, but I might remember wrong)......I'v also thought there might be some grounding issues ? - but everything else seem to work so not to sure about this.....

btw - should the brake-light go on without ignition on ? - I presume the reverse have to have ignition on ?.

Luckily got time to look into this problem today, so will head back to the MOT guys tomorrow and get it passed :)

Turned out somehow the cable-connector for the switch on the brake pedal wasn't connected (I presume I have to blame myself as I guess I have disconnected it for some reason when tidying up old stereo wiring horrors from earlier owner)....lol.

I thought the two things where related - but luckily the reverse light was only a bulb problem......

MOT....Check with flying colors ;)