Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

Blue Joe's G60 - FIRST DRIVE!!

sam just been looking at your gallery! hope your at the rr day i should be there and would love to see your car!

its some amazing yet unfortunately delayed progress!*(imagine where you'd be if you had no setbacks)*

its an absolutley lovely looking C im sure i can vouch for everyone you do the forum proud! just wish i had the money as spending time on my car is not the problem! have you done any other car projects or is this your first?

yeah defo good news - if everything goes to plan then this years RR day will be VERY interesting....

Episode VI Corrado Forum RR Day - The Return of the G Lader!

Well today we refitted the head as I was mobile enough on my bad leg to do a bit of work!

Took off the old timing belt and it had a section about 3 inches long that had been stipped of teeth!

So all we have left is tomorrow refit the new Powergrip Timing Belt, exhaust and inlet manifold, fuel rail, alternator, etc etc turn it over by hand and prepare to start her up for the first time in a while!!!!!

I still need a new charger bracket but can manage with mine for now (so Andy665 - if you've managed to find that one yet?????)

So All - Fingers crossed all goes well for once!!!!!!!!!!

Today - For the first time in a while IT LIVED!!!

Ran for a good 20mins to harden the cam. Then had a slight setback in that the fan didn;t cut in as was trapped and so overheated and blew a basket on a plate on the side of the block under the timing belt and leaked all the coolant out!

I knew the plate needed changing but had sort of forgotten about it. So ordering new plate tomorrow and gasket, bolt on new plate, refill with coolant and time to run it in!!!!

I have some Vid of it running but need to encode it before can post!! Show you all soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good news Sam, sounds like you will be up and running v.soon. When its the first ever run of a new engine were you not watching the temps like a hawk, or were you too excited.....?? :roll:

jay

We were and after 15 mins was all fine and went over to Stevemacs new motor for a 2 minute look - and thats when it happened!

No bubbling or leaking from the header tank at all.

The water was leaking from the cambelt side of the crankcase - there's a plate on that side of the block. We didn't have the right seal ring for it when the crankcase was built & foolishly decided to use blue hylomar instead - we're assuming that was where the water leaked from.

Not totally convinced that's the only problem. During & after most of water leaked out, top hose was very hard. Had small amount of mayonnaise on inside of oil cap & noticed that an amount of oil had mixed with the water.

Oil/water mix could have been instigated when the cyl head was replaced - oil may have got into the water galleries - not totally certain as I wasn't there when the head was fitted.

Think we're just gonna have to wait & see - draining & checking the oil will give a better picture.

Well the plate and gasket that blew have been replaced!! The fan has been freed up and it's running! I drove it home from teh garage very carefully!!! Obviosuly the engine is very tight at the moment so I can't tell you if it's quick or not and also I have for the time being removed the lead from my right foot!

So this weekend I have a few jobs left to do on it on saturday, including the Phenolic Insulator that I have bought from Darren at G-werks. Then saturday night I'm off out with Stevemac to start runnign it in!!

Watch this space folks..........................

mate, thats brilliant news.

How long is the loud pedal off limits, 1k miles? what a jip!

can't wait to see this in April, your still rollering it arent ya?

Andrew

The loud pedal is off limits for 1500miles until its run in then mapped as remember it currently has a map for a 1.8 G60.

It should all be plenty ready for the rolling road day in April!!!!!!!!